Chapter 2: How You Make Me Feel

Juleka's P.O.V
My mind kept racing as I biked home. Why does Rose like Ali so much? What's so special about him? I'm starting to think maybe I am just jealous, I don't know why though. I guess I just got used to Rose's extra attention. I feel a pain in my chest the more I think about it. My thoughts shift from Ali, instead wondering back to that day of the Akuma attack.

"Forget it Rose! Forget me!"

I was so mean to her when she was trying to help me. I let my emotions get the best of me, I could've hurt her. Why does she care so much about me when I was so cruel to her? She was being so nice to me, but was that just because she was afraid I would get akumatized again? That's probably why she was being so nice to me and giving me extra attention. It wasn't because she liked me or anything, she just doesn't want me to get akumatized again. Rose doesn't like me like that, she probably doesn't even see me as her best friend anymore. . . I shake the thought out of my head as I put my bike on the deck of my family's boat house.

What am I thinking? How can I question how much Rose cares about me after last night at her house? "Hey Juleka, there you are. Mom was looking for you. What took you so long?" Luka asks as he leans back in his chair, playing his guitar in the sun. His voice snaps me out of my inner panic. "Sorry, guess I just got side tracked." I say as I sit next to him. "What did mom need me for?" I ask grabbing a juice from the cooler and watching Luka play. "She wanted to ask about Rose and Ali. Rumor has been going around about their date, and how Rose is dating a prince."

I grip the juice harder and hold in a small huff of frustration. "She isn't dating him! They're just going to hang out as friends." Luka gives me a sympathetic smile before putting his guitar down and moving to my chair. "That's what mom said your reaction was going to be. She knew you were going to do that." He says laughing slightly. "Do what?" I ask, slightly confused. "Get angry at the thought of them dating. Did it ever cross your mind that you wanna be the one she is hanging out with and giving all that attention to Jules?" I look away from Luka, that embarrassing tingling feeling returning to my stomach again. "She can date whoever she wants, I don't control her." I mumble keeping my eyes glued to the floor. Luka just nods, but his usual 'I know you're lying' smile is burning through me. Rose can be friends with whoever she wants, what kind of friend would I be if I forced her to stop hanging out with someone because of how I feel? "Juleka! Luka! Dinner time!" I take the golden opportunity to run inside and sit at the table where mom had a bunch of food laid out. As Luka and I go to dive in, we hear a knock on the door. "Well don't all rush at once." My mom says as she walks out of the room and opens the door. "Rose! So good to see you! Juleka didn't say you were coming over, I would've made extra food!" My mom says in her cheerful tone. I feel my heart drop as Rose steps into view. Rose smiles towards me and turns back to my mom. "Sorry, Juleka actually didn't know I was coming over. I just figured I'd stop by." Rose's smile is so bright and warm, it's so comforting. But in this moment, I felt like it was going to kill me. "Well come on in dear, help yourself!" My mom practically treats Rose like a second daughter, and she pretty much is. Ever since we were little we have been practically inseparable.

~*~

Once we finished eating Rose and I went to my room, after helping my mom clean up all the dishes of course. "Why did you come over?" I ask sitting on the bed next to her and staring at the floor, my hair falling in my face. Rose smiles before lifting my head with one hand, turning my gaze to face her and moving my hair out of my face with the other. I can feel a blush spread across my face as she does this. I don't know why though, she always does it when I avoid eye contact with her. Plus, she says I look really cute with my hair not covering my eye. Her saying that always made my heart skip, but I never told her that. "Because I'm worried about you, it doesn't surprise me when you're quiet to Alya or Marinette. But you never distance yourself from me like that." I try to brush it off but I can't seem to bring myself to do it. I wanna ask about her and Ali but I don't want her to think badly of me for doubting her judgement. "I'm fine, just tired I guess." I whisper taking her hands and moving them to her lap. She goes to protest, but instead just sighs and nods in acceptance. "Okay, wanna watch some movies?" She asks as she grabs one of my scary movies. "You hate horror movies." I grab the disc from her, but she grabs it back and gives me a bright smile. "Yeah; but you love them, and I'm here to make sure you're happy. Besides I can just cover my eyes if it scares me." She gets up and puts the DVD in and sits next to me on the bed.

We watched different movies for hours, Rose would occasionally grip my arm or hide her face my shoulder. I would just smile and hug her whenever she did until she let go. Eventually she finally fell asleep, I reached for the remote and turned the TV off. She was leaning against my shoulder, her cute blonde hair falling in her face. I smile before trying to gently move her off of my shoulder and onto the bed. I cover her with my blanket and move her hair out of her face. She smiles in her sleep as I move her hair behind her ear, as if she could tell what I was doing even while she was asleep. She really is adorable, especially her smile. I gently move my thumb across her cheekbone, her skin is soft too. I didn't even realize how much I was staring at her until I pulled my hand away with a burning feeling on my face. What the hell am I doing? I'm sitting here ogling over my best friend! What is wrong with me?! Why is Rose making me feel this way? What changed since I got Akumatized?

"Should I expect it to be any different? Nobody ever hears me. Or sees me. I'm invisible. Even in photos." I sighed, looking down at my clenched hands. The feeling of disappointment from once again not having a good class photo, as well as my anger for Chloe burning through me. "Don't say that Juleka! It's not true!" Rose yells holding a hand out to me. "Forget it. As long as Chloe's in the picture, she will find a way to keep me out of it." Rose looks at me with her usual blue pleading eyes, but I was just so done. Nothing could fix this, not even Marinette, not even Rose. "No Juleka!" Rose yells holding her arms out in disagreement and anger.

"Forget it Rose! Forget me!"

Everything after that is a blank, did she say something to me I don't remember? Did I say something to her? I really hope I didn't say anything cruel to her when I was Akumatized. She has always been there for me, like my other half. I would never forgive myself if I hurt her. She means the world to me. But now, those feelings have gotten a hundred times worse. I feel like I can't live without her, she means so much to me. She makes me happier than I have ever been. That's what it feels like to be best friends though right? So why does it feel like I'm missing something? Like there's something I else I want from her? I look down at her still sound asleep. "Dammit Rose, why do you always make me feel this way?" I whisper before grabbing my phone and texting her mom that she was spending the night. I lay down with her trying my best to fall asleep with all the thoughts clouding my head.