Chapter 3: She Doesn't Like Girls!

I woke up the next morning to Rose not in the bed beside me. I get up and get dressed before walking out onto the deck of the house and looking out at the water. Luka was sitting there with Rose talking about our band Kitty Section. "We should have a music session this weekend. We can invite everyone from class." Rose says all excited as usual. She notices me staring at the water and gets up to stand next to me, her gaze following mine to the other side of the water. "Sleep okay Juleka? You were mumbling a lot in your sleep." Rose asks looking at me. I just nod and keep my eyes on the water. "Guess I just have a lot on my mind." I finally admit, Rose goes to say something but I cut her off. "I'd rather not talk about it Rose. Thank you though." I say, knowing exactly what she was gonna ask. "Oh . . . okay . . ." She says softly, almost hesitantly. We both get ready for school. Luka decided he would walk us today, which concerned me. I just hope he doesn't ask any questions, since I don't even have the answers myself yet. As we approach the school, Marinette sees Luka and walks up smiling. "Hey Luka! Dropping Juleka and Rose off?" She asks as she hugs him. "Yeah, we were gonna have a bit of a music session today on the boat if you want to come." Luka pauses grabbing Marinette's hand. "It would mean a lot to me to have such a great source of inspiration there." He says with his soft smile, he makes it so obvious he likes Marinette. But she is too in love with Adrien to ever notice. "Sounds awesome." She says smiling, completely oblivious to the obvious flirting as well.

We all walk into the school after saying goodbye to Luka. Rose and I went to take our seats in our usual spots in the back of the class. Rose was letting everyone know about the small get-together when Chloe walked in. "Aw, a little date on your girlfriend's weird house boat? Well count me out!" She whines, I feel myself sink in my seat. "Rose doesn't like girls." I say softly under my breath. "What was that goth girl? Speak up." Chloe says pushing past everyone to me. Leaning over the desk to glare at me. I hesitate for a moment but finally sit up and speak. "Rose doesn't like girls." I repeat softly, trying to avoid Chloe's eye contact. "You didn't say you didn't though. Is that what it is? You have a crush on your cute little best friend but she is too distracted by the handsome Prince Ali to notice you?" I feel my heart drop at Chloe's insult. That isn't true! It has nothing to do with that! Right..? I don't like Rose like that! And she isn't dating Ali! Why does everyone think she is dating Ali?!

My mind was racing so much I didn't even notice the tears starting to stream down my face. "Aw, looks like I got it right on the money. Did I strike a nerve?" Chloe teases, which snaps me out of my thoughts and finally makes me aware of my current situation. "That's enough Chloe!" Alya yells, but I couldn't sit there anymore. The attention on me was just too much. I get up and bolt out of the classroom, not even bothering to look back despite the girls calling my name.

Rose's P.O.V
I tried to stop Juleka but she just kept running. "Juleka wait!" I yell as she disappears from view. "What is your problem Chloe?! Someone's sexuality is not something to joke about!" Alya yells, immediately jumping into her usual defense mode. "Juleka isn't even gay!" I yell, the room falls silent. She isn't, right? She would've told me if she was. She's my best friend she wouldn't hide that from me! Right? "She isn't! Right guys?" I ask looking around the room, everyone just stared at me. Their silence seemed to be my answer. "Why wouldn't she tell me?" I ask, hurt that my best friend would keep something like that a secret from me. "Juleka has a hard time talking about her feelings, you know that. Besides she probably assumed you knew since you know her so well." Alya says softly. She does have a point but still, why wouldn't she tell me something like that? "I'm gonna go find Juleka, I wanna make sure she is okay." Marinette says before running after Juleka. I go to follow her but Alya grabs my arm. "I think you should stay here Rose, let Marinette do her thing." Alya says smiling. "But I'm her best friend! I should go to make sure she is okay." Alya just gives me a small smile and walks me back to my seat. "Trust me, if anyone knows how to deal with Chloe problems, it's Marinette." I wanna fight back but I just agree and sit down with a pout. I can't believe she didn't tell me she liked girls.

Juleka's P.O.V
I sat in front of the school on the steps. I couldn't stop crying, I was so embarrassed. It's not like I like Rose or that anything Chloe said was true, right? It was the way everyone stared at me. All that attention on me, it was so overwhelming. I didn't want anyone knowing about my personal business. "Juleka!" My muscles tense at the sound of my name being called. I manage to calm down when I see Marinette smiling down at me. "Oh, hey Marinette." I say softly as she sits next to me. I wipe the tears from my face as she puts her hand over mine resting on my lap. "Don't listen to Chloe, we all know she is full of it." I smile a bit at Marinette's attempt to cheer me up, but it doesn't seem to fix the pain in my chest. "Marinette, I'm so confused." I finally spoke up, hoping that confiding in Marinette can help me. After all she is class rep and extremely helpful, she is an amazing friend and has amazing advice. "I don't wanna admit it but Chloe has a point. I get so jealous whenever Rose hangs out with Ali and I hate that. He hasn't done anything to make me not like him, but whenever Rose gushes about him I just wanna disappear." Marinette says nothing for a moment before a small smile crossed her face. "Juleka, could it be you like Rose as more than a friend? And that you're jealous because you think she has a crush on Ali and not you?"

I wanted to say yes but I really wasn't sure. I keep denying that I could like Rose, especially since she is my best friend and she's straight. But when I really think about it, it makes sense. I loved all the extra attention she was giving me. I love when she compliments me and I hate whenever she talks about Ali like he is the greatest guy in the world. She makes me blush much easier now and her eyes alone can stun me to the point of stammering worse than Marinette. "I don't know, I think I do. That's what's so confusing, I don't know what I feel. I don't want to ruin our friendship if I'm wrong, but if I do have a crush on Rose what am I supposed to do? She is my best friend. She might not even like girls let alone like me. And if she doesn't feel the same it could ruin everything. She means so much to me Marinette, I can't lose her." Marinette laughs a bit before hugging me. "Trust me Juleka, there's not a thing in this world you can say to Rose that could ruin the friendship you two have. Just take it slow and give yourself some time to figure things out." She pulls away and stands up, holding a hand out to me. I smile before grabbing her hand and using it to bring myself to my feet. "Thanks Marinette, please don't tell the rest of the girls about this. I wanna be sure before anyone knows." I say walking back inside with Marinette. She nods in agreement and we both go back to class.