Chapter Seven: Schlatt's no good Wednesday

"Are you alright, Schlatt? You look down in the dumps."

This guy.

And his stupidly adorable concern for his friends.

"I'm great, Wilbur! I've never been better!" Schlatt wasn't actually great, but he wasn't going to say anything about it. "Are you sure? You're doing that thing where your voice gets smaller, and you aren't as talkative. Like that time when my friend said something about you shutting up, y'know? The first time I really talked to you?" Great. So much for acting normal.

"No, no. I'm fine." Schlatt mumbled, his cheek resting in the palm of his hand. Wilbur looked at him suspiciously. He obviously didn't believe him, and he was about to respond, but the bell rang loudly, cutting him off.

"Welp, that's the bell, Wilbur! I better get going. Mr. Ant won't believe my story about being chased by chickens this time." Schlatt got up, his arm reaching over the chair to sling his bag over his shoulder. "Wait- I could walk you to class! I have Pete next." Wilbur rushed to say, Jschlatt turned around, halfway through the doorway. He knew Wilbur didn't have Pete next, he had- Well he doesn't know what he has next, but it isn't Pete. Despite not knowing Wilbur's full schedule, he knew that he should probably make a decision instead of standing in the doorway. "Alright, c'mon."

-Wilbur-

If Wilbur didn't know something was up when Schlatt wasn't cracking jokes, and lowkey flirting with him. Then he definitely knows there's something wrong when he's watching Schlatt fiddle with his fingers, watching the wind flow through the leaves of trees, as they walked down the hall. The most obvious reason was that he wasn't talking to Wilbur. They were definitely in best friend territory, if not platonic boyfriend territory.

So what was up with him? Wilbur knew better than to keep asking him, if he kept bothering him about it, schlatt would eventually snap and end up being angry as well as upset. But he also knew that Schlatt kept his emotions to himself, pushing them away or dealing with them by himself.

Wilbur didn't know what to do besides try and cheer him up. So that's exactly what he was going to do.

—-

"Do you want anything from the vending machine? I've got an extra one dollar bill..." Wilbur asked, waving the two one dollar bills around. "No thanks, Wilbur. I'll be late to class. You should go too, we both know you don't have Mr. Pete next." Schlatt said, his voice had an edge to it. "I'll see you at lunch maybe." Then he turned and walked further down the hall.

Yeah no. There was definitely something wrong.

—-

The bell rang, pulling Wilbur out of his thoughts. He floated throughout his first three periods thinking of what made Schlatt so upset, that he didn't even notice it was lunch. He got up, pulling his bag off the ground and pulling the straps over his shoulders.

He weaved through the crowd of students. It was surprisingly hard just to get a few doors down. Wilbur was relieved they hadn't been dismissed yet, otherwise he might have missed Schlatt.

Soon the door opened and students pushed through, desperate to make it to the cafeteria. Wilbur waited for Schlatt to pass through. When he did, he looked a lot happier than before.

"Hey man! You look a lot better. Anything significant happen?" Wilbur asked, bumping his shoulder with Schlatt's. "Yeah, Mr. Ant rearranged seats, so now I'm sitting with Ty."  Schlatt smiled, although it wasn't as big as Wilbur would have liked. He hasn't actually met Ty, but Schlatt talks about him all the time. Same with Connor on the off chance he has a conversation with him. They seem really proud of that kid. They're like a small family, It's cute.

"Really? I'll have to meet this guy, and see if he's as great as everyone says." Wilbur smiled, and Schlatt smiled back. Although, it dropped when someone called out to him.

"Schlatt!"

Wilbur looked up, Schlatt turned around. The voice belonged to a girl their age, maybe older. She looked nice, but at the same time looked like she was hard core judging you. He looked down at Schlatt, wondering if he knew her. "Minx..." Okay, so her name was Minx, but more importantly, the edge was back in Schlatt's voice, and so was the frown. Wilbur looked back up at her, she was coming closer, dodging the small amount of people still in the hall. Schlatt didn't make a move to leave, despite how uncomfortable he looked. Instead, he mumbled a "you've gotta be kidding me" under his breath.

"So I was wondering if you're free after school." Minx asked, looking confident, pointing finger guns towards them. Wilbur finally understood why he looked so uncomfortable. Schlatt and Minx were a thing, and he didn't want Wilbur to know. Ouch, that kind of hurt a bit.

"Sorry, I'm busy that day."

Oh, okay. So maybe not...His response definitely got rid of that idea. But yikes. He and Schlatt talked about what they planned to do when they got home, and Schlatt told him he was just planning to do homework if he got any. "Okay what about Friday?" Minx asked, her finger guns lowering a bit. "No." Schlatt turned and walked away.

They stood there for a moment watching Schatt's back get farther and farther away until he turned a corner. "Uh, see you around..." Wilbur smiled awkwardly, his hand waving. Before he rushed down the hall to catch up with schlatt.

----

They walked down the hall in silence, Wilbur glanced over at Schlatt a few times, opening and closing his mouth trying to figure out what to say. He accidentally let a noise escape from the back of his throat, his small "auh" made Schlatt snap his head in the direction of Wilbur, "What?" there was a pause. Wilbur still wasn't sure of what he was going to say, but it didn't matter because Schlatt was already speed walking through the court yard muttering a "Whatever."

-Schlatt-

Okay, maybe he was being unnecessarily rude towards Wilbur, but he couldn't find himself to care. Walking on the hard concrete, the yelling of his peers at their picnic tables, and the already bright sun just made him even more mad. Well, maybe it helped a little. The warmth on his skin was nice compared to the ice box he was just in, and the fresh air was nice and unstuffy. So maybe he was just back to his previous anger level. The level he was at when Minx decided to walk up to him and ask him when he was free. Right after she chose host on that stupid game show he shouldn't of even went on.

He didn't want to admit it to himself earlier, but he's going to do it now. He's upset over a stupid rejection. He should have seen it coming anyway. He wasn't even planning on taking it seriously, which he didn't. So why is he so upset? He doesn't love Minx, but he doesn't hate her either. Maybe it's the fact he got rejected in front of his whole school. Or whatever losers decided to stay that long.

He has been feeling like everyone is watching him or laughing at him. Maybe everyone out here saw what happened, or heard from a friend.

Or maybe they're watching him deciding on whether or not they want to buy a Schlatt coin.

.
.
.

Oh who is he kidding? Everyone knows it's a scam, and they only buy it because it makes for good content.

.
.
.

Okay. Feeling down in the dumps was pretty alright until he started thinking bad about Schlatt coin. Schlatt coin was probably the best thing that happened to him, and he shouldn't start insulting it because he's feeling...Feelings.

To be continued...