Chapter 9

"Get out." It was the first thing that came to Ana's mind as she stood to face the demonic intruder, a command that she knew as she was saying it was not going to be listened to. She felt strangely composed as she looked the blonde up and down with an air of distaste, the smooth handle of the knife she was brandishing being grasped by a steady hand.

Lamia laughed at her. "What's with the blade? Do you think it would actually help you?"

"Maybe, maybe not," Ana replied coolly. "Would you even bleed if I jabbed this thing in your throat?"

Lamia clicked her tongue at the brunette, taking a few tentative steps towards her. Ana stayed planted in her spot, determined not to appear intimidated to the trespasser. "You speak of such violence, little girl. There's no need."

"Bullshit. You murdered the damn door," Ana said, gesturing with her empty hand towards the demolished piece of wood that once closed off the rest of the world from her haven.

Lamia was suddenly right in front of her, having taking a few quick steps so she was inches away, her ivory face so close to hers that Ana could nearly count the individual mascara-coated lashes. She kept knife at her side, but pointed towards Lamia's abdomen, a silent warning not to move any closer or risk being impaled. "If I was going to kill you, little girl, you would have been dead a long time ago. There would be nothing you could do to stop me."

Ana didn't reply, knowing that the entity was right, that the only reason she was still alive was because Lamia was obeying Pennywise. Even knowing that truth, Ana felt a priggish gratification thinking about it, aware that the possession of that advantage was contributing to Lamia's distress. "You're foolish, standing there looking so smug," Lamia snarled suddenly, her own placid demeanor suddenly dissolving in a nasty fit of envy. "It's only going to be a matter of time before the Great One realizes what a hindrance you really are!"

"Oh, is that so? When do you think he's going to realize it, the next time we're fucking? Or maybe the next time he takes me with him for his next long sleep?" She knew she was taking petty jabs, but her impulse to rub it all in was far too staggering to allow her to heed her own brain's warnings to stop. Lamia looked like her sanity was absolutely undone at Ana's words, her eyes wide as she bared her sharp teeth at her. They stared at each other for a few seconds before Lamia suddenly gripped Ana's throat in a clawed hand, the hold on her so tight that Ana instantly started to struggle for air. Ana tried to stab the entity, but in a flash Lamia had knocked the weapon out of her hand and it clattered to the floor, the only noise in the room now besides Ana gasping for breath.

"You're an impolite, cheeky little thing," Lamia growled. Ana could feel claws puncturing the skin on her neck. "I could use that cooking utensil to carve up your pretty face. Wouldn't that be poetic! I wonder how much he'd like you then." She bent down to reach for the knife, but Ana was able to kick it away from her outstretched hand, the weapon sliding across the floor and under the coffee table.

Lamia went from looking livid to highly amused in a matter of seconds, and she cackled lowly as she locked eyes with Ana. "You are so feisty! No matter. I always have the option of my natural talents." The sharp black nail on her pointer finger started to grow, and she placed it right below Ana's eye. Ana grimaced as the entity started to drag the pointed talon down her cheek, the sharp pain telling her that Lamia was indeed starting to carve up her face as she said she would. Ana landed a hard kick to her shin, then punched the heavily made up face as hard as she could; it wasn't enough to actually hurt the entity, but it seemed to surprise her, and she let go of Ana's throat. Ana took a few steps back from her, wheezing as she held her bleeding neck in her hand. She looked down at the fist she had used to hit the goth with, her knuckles bleeding from coming into contact with her razor-like teeth.