Chapter 15

Agreeing not to go down to the beach and kill every last one of those pitiful, sparkling creatures was not something that Pennywise would consider to be in his nature. To say he was angry about his sweet girl being there against both of their wills was a gross understatement. He had rushed through the Macroverse and into the dimension that was home to Dulcis after not being able to stand being apart from her any longer, fully intending to butcher every fairy within the vicinity of the party. Envisioning the bloodshed as he traveled through space was rather delightful, and even though the last time he had tasted pure fairy flesh had been billions of years ago, the memory of it made him positively ravenous.

But even so, Ana had managed to convince him not to go through with it. He would never openly admit it to her, but she was definitely being the logical of the two when their minds were connected; he could tell himself all he wanted that he could kill those winged creatures without consuming any of them, but even being near the planet was enticing. She was also right in reminding him that he would grow gravely ill if he gave into his monstrous appetite, as the last time he did, he was incapacitated for thousands of years before he healed enough to finally leave. That would not do, for she could not be with him if he was slumbering for that long.

After their minds were torn away from one another, he spent precious moments watching Ana on the beach, finally pulling himself away as to not be seduced by the tantalizing scents any longer. He started his return journey to Earth, knowing that if Ana was somehow able to return, he had to be there waiting for her.

While he floated through the darkness in the form of a trio of lights, he reminisced that Ana had also been able to convince him not to follow her to Dulcis when she was initially taken from him. He had been a desperate, raging mess of emotions as she hurtled through the portal and he chased after her. The idea that a mere girl could change his mind so easily and on more than one occasion was troubling, until he reminded himself of all the sappy lessons the movies they had watched together had told him: love changes you. He wasn't sure if that was what was going on, as the concept of love was still a bit lost on him, but he entertained that it was a possibility.

His musings were interrupted when he sensed another entity nearby. Had he had a mouth in his current form, he would have growled in annoyance, as Lamia was following him yet again, her essence much smaller and duller than his own. Thoughts of Ana were quickly replaced by his anger for the young entity, and had he been more able to be recognize that interfering with his introspection about his lover may have been Lamia's goal just then, he would have resisted it. But all that consumed now was his rage, and he went after her, lights chasing lights through the dark void.

Just as he was about to reach her, intending to snuff her meager life force out of existence, he suddenly stopped chase. His consciousness grew muddled for a short time, and then he was continuing on his path back to Earth, thoughts of desiring Ana forming again. The Eater of Worlds barely noticed the disturbance, a pattern that had been repeated time and time again when Lamia had been successful in manipulating him.

Being ignorant to her influences, especially now that she had been able to increase her ability to do so, Pennywise was unaware how weary she was growing, having to stave him off repeatedly from killing her. Her confidence had been greatly shaken when he had attacked her after learning of her involvement in Ana's disappearance, and a few times she began to question her willingness to continue deceiving the cosmic being that she admired so much. It had taken a lot of effort on her part to derail his intent to kill her, even as he was ripping off her limb and gouging her eye out of its socket with a claw. He even went out of his way a few times to cruelly mock her for her missing body parts, sarcastically asking what had happened to her and laughing when she obediently told him it was he who had done it. But she pressed on with the charade, her longing to be with him ultimately overshadowing her fear of death.