Chapter 13

Fairies continued to bustle around Ana as she tried to grasp her current whereabouts. The room they were in was large and spacious, with vaulted ceilings and white stone walls. There were golden pillars interspersed throughout that ran the entire length of the walls, breaking off like tangled tree branches and connecting once they reached the ceilings. When Ana's eyes fell on massive stone statues of various animals, she recalled seeing this place in one of Asmod's visions. They were in the temple where she had been taken ten years ago.

At first, she was vaguely aware that hands were touching and fussing over her, and once she focused on that fact, she realized that when she had transformed from human back to her original form, she had lost her clothing. A female fairy with bubblegum pink hair was trying to pull white robes on her, and Ana obliged rather enthusiastically when she realized her 'father' was still standing in front of her. When she was covered and feeling a bit less exposed, she locked eyes with a tall male that had wavy fire-red hair and dazzling green eyes; he was watching her with a familiar sense of disdain, and she somehow knew that this was one of the same 'men' that had taken her away from Derry and was now back in his fairy form.

"It's okay, I don't like you either," she said to him, and the chattering around her stopped momentarily as everyone around her stopped to stare. She heard 'Raanana' and incoherent words following it from the fairy with the purple robes, and she couldn't help but feel like his tone sounded scolding, although she wasn't entirely sure if the fairies understood her or not.

Suddenly, she was being ushered away from where she stood, and she was being guided by multiple hands towards what looked like the middle of the temple. When they stopped moving, she found herself standing inside a circle made of numerous colorful plants and flowers, and the fairies there had all grown silent and were staring at her. She looked around, anticipating whatever was supposed to happen next, beautiful faces all looking at her like they were expecting her to tell them something important or burst into flames. Then, the same girl with the bubblegum pink hair pushed her way through the small crowd, coming to stand in the circle with Ana. Unlike the male with the flaming red hair, Ana seemed to take an instant liking to this one. She spoke quietly, as if only wishing for Ana to hear, and then to her immense surprise, she bowed down before her. Ana was about to laugh uncomfortably and tell her to knock it off, when the rest of the fairies in the room did the same, all except for the one that had claimed to be her father in her dreams. Ana stood in awkward silence as their faces remained pointed towards the floor, and finally not being able to take it any longer, Ana enthusiastically gestured for them to stand back up.

The fairy that was in the circle with her was smiling kindly at her now, and when she stretched out her sparkling hands towards her to touch her temples, Ana didn't even feel the slightest bit of apprehension. Her good faith was tested not a moment later, however, as Ana felt a jolt go through her and then an intense rush go through her body, like a painless bolt of electricity. She fell to her knees as the energy continued to penetrate every cell in her body, and then images started to run through her mind like a movie in fast forward.

How long she stayed on the floor trying not to lose her sanity as her memories came rushing back to her she couldn't know. When the overwhelming sensation finally subsided, she was lying on her side in the circle of flowers, her chest heaving as she tried to catch her breath. One of the fairies reached down to help her, and Ana pushed him away without hesitation.

"Don't touch me," she wheezed in her native tongue.

"Lady Raanana, I only wish to help you. You look distressed," he replied, but she refused his help, pushing herself off the ground by herself.

"You would be, too, if you had just been bombarded with a lifetime of information in a matter of seconds," she replied, brushing off her wrinkled robes as she stood. Her father never approved of looking disheveled.