t

d e n i a l

"Hush baby, don't you say another
word, be quiet."

______________________________

"Alright class, that'd be all for today's lesson. For next weeks session please split into groups of two and come up with a two page essay on whatever topic we discussed today." The teacher declared before leaving the classroom. We were in the last period of the morning and now it was finally time for lunch.

I looked over to Jaehyun to ask if he wanted to pair up again. Not only did we have physical chemistry, we also worked together well. "Jae-" I called, to get his attention, but didn't continue when I overheard Chunghas request for them to become partners. My lips pressed into a thin line when he nodded in agreement.

Jaehyun turned around to look to me, giving an apologetic look and shrugged his shoulders. I groaned and looked away. How could he be so fickle? Just because she was a girl, is that why he agreed? Or was it because they went way back before he met me.

We have been partners for nearly two years. Now it was broken because of some girl. I mentally tried to reason my jealousy. I knew I shouldn't be too sensitive or possessive over him. I had no right. We're just friends. Aren't we?

I frowned and tapped Yuta on his shoulder, who had been packing his things away. "Hey Yuta, can we pair up?" I asked and he spun around to face me. "What? Did I hear that right? What about your usual partner, Mr. A student?" he raised a brow, grinning cheekily.

I smiled back nervously, "I don't need to work with Jae all the time, y'know? So, do you mind?" I fibbed and began to pack my own things. "Alright, if you say so, maybe this time I can get a better grade" he then chuckled and grabbed his bag, heading to the door.

"Hey, where are going??" I inquired, wondering where he was off to in such a rush. He turned to me at the doorway, "I have a meeting to attend. I'll meet you guys later" he said before stepping out of the class and leaving me behind.

I glanced over to Jaehyuns desk to find him alone, and standing to leave. "Let's go?" He questioned then I sighed softly and nodded. We then went in the direction of the cafeteria down the hallway.

I walked slowly beside him, staring down at the floor. Jaehyun noticed, "hey Tae, I'm sorry we can't be partners this time. Next time?" I hummed in response and we proceeded to the cafeteria.

We had now reached inside. I took a look around to see it was bustling with students joining the line to get their meals and some walking around with trays to their usual seats. I didn't have the appetite to eat, honestly. Who would if they were in my situation?

"How about I treat you to some dessert?" Jaehyun offered, knowing very well that was my kryptonite.

I beamed at him and nodded in excitement. It just so happens that I'm the fickle one, willing to sell my soul for a dessert. "Forgiven?" He asked and my heart fluttered at the appearance of the beautiful craters in his cheeks. "Forgiven." I affirmed with a smile and we went into the line to get our food.

Once we got our food, we went to the bench we usually sat at. Ten and Winwin were already seated there and greeted us as we came. I stared at the plate before me, still unable to muster the appetite to pick apart the chicken dish on my tray. My friends were conversing amongst themselves. Occasionally, I would look up to show interest but in actuality, I was too upset to pay attention to what they were actually saying.

"Where's Yuta, by the way? It's uncommon for him not to be around Winwin." Ten said out of the blue, catching all of our attentions. I raised my head, "he said he had a meeting" I said. Ten looked bemused and I shrugged as I didn't understand what Yuta meant either.

"I'm sure he's been avoiding me lately." Winwin stated, causing us all to look at him. "Why do you say that?" Ten asked. "He nearly broke his dick trying to stretch with me and when I tried to help him, he said something about not wanting to become an eunuch." he replied and then Ten and I looked at each other before bursting out into laughter. Jaehyun and Winwin stared at us in bewilderment.

Our laughter was however cut short when Chungha walked up to our table. "Hey guys" she acknowledged us prior to facing Jaehyun, which everyone else enthusiastically greeted back. I, on the other hand, fixed my attention to the chocolate pudding on my tray, compliments of Jaehyun. She's not going to sit with us for lunch now, is she?

"Hey Jae, I wanted to ask when would you be available to discuss the project later?" and my mind went blank. I tried not to react too much and listened to their conversation. "Hmm..is 6pm fine?" he questioned. "Sounds good" she agreed.

"Do you wanna sit with us?" Jaehyun then suggested. I began stabbing into the pudding, then ate the modicum attached at the end of the fork. Please say no, please say no.

"Oh, I'm going to sit with the dance team. I just joined them recently." she said and I looked up to see she was pointing in the direction of a table with Hwasa and her crew. I visibly exhaled, still avoiding staring up at them. I was unaware that I had been holding my breath all this time.

I wondered if this meant she would stop hanging around him now that she had made some friends. I hoped so. Please let it be so, I chanted internally.

"Ah, okay. See you later then." Jaehyun responded with a smile and she agreed then said goodbye before walking to sit with the other girls. Tsk, that dreaded project. I looked around at my friends, eating a forkful of the pudding out of frustration.

Jaehyun turned to me, pressing the area on my forehead between my brows. "Stop furrowing. You'll get wrinkles. Is the pudding not good?" He inquired and my facial expression softened. I hadn't realized I had been scowling as well. Was my displeasure obvious? I shook my head, "it's good," I simply replied.

He clicked his teeth at me, "are you still upset? I thought you forgave me." he whined, which caused our other friends to get curious. "What do you mean, Jae?" Ten asked, looking between both of us.

"It's nothing," I mumbled but Jaehyun proceeded. "Tae is giving me the cold treatment because we're not partners this time around." He pouted. "I'm not, it's fine and I'm fine." I said, giving a wide smile.

He didn't seem convinced. I don't blame him, from the uncertainty in my tone. He picked up his spoon to scoop some of my pudding. I watched as he brought it up and held it in front of my mouth. I arched my brow at him, confused by his actions. He nodded his head, urging me to open my mouth and so I did.

I took the spoonful of the dessert into my mouth, pursing my lips to scrape it off the spoons surface then flashed him a look of annoyance. Jaehyuns eyebrows raised in surprise but smiled shortly in accomplishment.

Ten shook his head at us, while he blurted out, "you guys act like a married couple how often you bicker and make up." Both Jaehyun and I stared at him questionably.

I had no words to say and started to laugh awkwardly. Jaehyun joined in then said, "don't be silly ten, we're just friends" he said, stoically. I continued to eat the pudding, unable to get over my disappointment. Yeah, just friends.

______________________________

Here we go. This continues in the next chapter by the way, that's why its kinda shorter. Hope you enjoyed this boring chapter. Lots of looking going on in this chapter. Thank you for reading. P.s. I still suck at first pov.

- quote: nervous by the neighbourhood