My Girls

They finish stitching up Tris and are now wheeling her to the room where Evelyn and Cristina are waiting. Taylin is in her arms, asleep all wrapped up in a blankey Evelyn brought for her. They gave her a check up and told us she is a perfectly healthy baby. We reach room 10 and I open the door. The nurse wheels Tris' bed in and then leaves us alone. I stand right by Tris' side by the couch and Evelyn stands up slowly and walks puts her arms around my waist hugging me.
"Congrats." I here quietly.
"Thanks mom." My sling in the way from returning the hug.
"I wish I could hug you back."
"It's ok son."
"Would you like to hold her?"
"Yes! May I?
"Yes." I trace her eyes to Tris and see her give a nod of approval to Evelyn. She steps forward with her arms out as Tris places the baby in her arms.
"Thank you! Both of you."
"For what?"
"This. Making me a Grandma and giving me a second chance"
I look over and see a moody Cristina.
"You can hold her next Cristina."
"Yay!" Evelyn turns and hands Taylin over to Cristina. As Taylin wakes up and cries.
"Oh. Shh. Come to Aunty Cristina." The crying doesn't stop.
"Maybe we should give her back to her mommy?"
"No it's still Aunty Cristina turn. Shh. It's ok baby."
I reach my arm out for my daughter. Cristina reluctantly hands over my daughter and I giver her to Tris. Wow is it hard to hold a baby with one hand. She was primarily leaning against my body with minimal support from my arm. I turn around as the door opens. It's the nurse that fixed my arm, with an ice pack, gauze and a bottle.
"Ok. Would visitors mind stepping out?" She screams over a crying Taylin
"Yes. Of course." As Evelyn stands up and drags Cristina out. Closing the door behind her.
"Four, I need to change Tris' bandaids, could you feed her her bottle?"
"Yeah." I sit down. Until I get my sling off, caring for Taylin and Tris is going to be hard. Especially once I start work again. I see the nurse pick up and place a pillow in my lap and then Taylin. I grab her bottle off the tray next to the bed and hold it while she drinks it. I see the nurse pull the blanket off Tris and pull up her hospital gown to reveal the gauze taped around all of her core area. As she unwraps the gauze, Tris looks like she's in a lot of pain. She keeps having to be rolled over so more and more can be unwrapped. Now it's all off. Tris makes even more of a pain face as the nurse cleans the incisions and brings to rap up her core again. Poor Tris. She finishes quickly and pulls her gown down and pulls out pillows to prop up her leg and then ice on top of the cast.
"Do you want the blanket back on?"
"No I'm fine. Thanks."
"My pleasure. Let me know if you need anything." Leaving, she closes the door behind her. By now Taylin is done with her bottle and asleep again.
"Can I hold her now?"
"Yes." I see her try to lift her leg up and over the edge of the bed, it looks heavy.
"Tris! No!" I've never yelled at her before. "Tris. I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I'll bring her to you."
"No Tobias. You hurt."
"Tris." I smirk. "Your even worse than me." I stand up with Taylin leaning against my chest with my good arm supporting her. "Here." I say as I sit down in the edge of her bed as Tris reaches up to grab her girl. I lye down next to Tris. My good arm around her.
"I love you Tris."
"I love you two."
"I love you three."
"I love you Four."
"I love you Six."
"What happened to five?"
"It gets always gets the way."
"You never told me what happened." I see Tris' gentle fingers touch my forearm in the sling. I tell her. My voice soft.
"David shot me after he shot you in the weapons lab." I look down at her knee and reposition the ice pack so it's on her leg again. "I'm so sorry Tris."
"Tobias. What did you mean?"
"I shot you leg. David dodged the bullet and it hit you." I now realize I'm looking down because I feel her fingers grace jawbone.
"Tobias. It's not your fault." I see her smile. I love to see her smile. We are lying in her bed, peacefully for what feels like forever. Disturbed by a crying Taylin and the smell of a dirty diaper.
"I'll do it."
"No Tris. I'll do it."
"You can't do it with one hand."
"You can't walk."
"Tobias, I'm fine. Help me. We'll do it together."
I help lift her leg over the edge of the bed and wrap my good arm around her waist and pull her up. She seems stable now. She hands me Taylin and grabs her crutches. She makes her way over to the change if table and puts Taylin on the changing table. I grab a diaper out of the bag Evelyn brought and a small pink bear. I look down and see a smiling baby. I give her the bear and Tris the diaper. She gets changed, and is now asleep and Tris puts her in the crib. I place my arm around Tris. We kiss.
"Tobias. Let's go home." I see her looking at me.
"Ok. Whenever your ready."
"I'm ready." I hear softly "Lets go home."
"Ok. I'll pack up or stuff. You go rest." I can tell how much energy it took out of her just to walk 4 feet to the changing table. I walk her over to the bed and lean her crutches against the wall. She's now sitting on the edge of the bed so I help her lift up her casted leg and replace the ice. Her breathing slows, she's asleep. I kiss her forehead.
"Get some rest Tris."
I hear a knock at the door.
"Come in." The door opens. "Mom."
"Tobias."
"We're going home tonight."
"Ok. I'll help you guys get ready."
"It's going to be a long 6 months. I can't even hold my child."