A Memory

Tula had went to bed shortly after finishing the meal Russia had remade for her. It bugged her that she knew if she had made the meal herself that it wouldn't have tasted as good. Her cooking was crap. Her baking on the other hand was not. She was known for her gingerbread cookies. But that was beside the matter.

She had woken up to violet eyes again.

"What the hell I told you to stay out!"

"Just wait. I wanted to apologize."

"For what?" She was tired and not happy about being woke up.

"For slapping you yesterday."

"That doesn't make up for anything," she was furious again, "it doesn't make up for what you have done to my people. You didn't help them when they needed you most!"

"That was not my fault, that was bosses. Do you think I didn't try to talk him into helping, da?" Tears began to well in his eyes.

This was the first time Tula had seen him cry. She felt what she assumed was pain. He stood up and left her. She was left to fall asleep again in confusion.

In her confusion she thought of a memory of when she was still young. About six in human years. A time where she was still a little to young to understand what was exactly going on. A time where she actually liked Russia.

~~~~~~~~~~~

It was January 7th. Russian Christmas. Little Tula was making gingerbread cookies. She was hoping Ivan wouldn't wake up before they were done.

The cookies were finished before he had woken up to Tula's relief. She placed them on a plate freshly iced. She carried them through the living room where a Christmas Tree sat with two presents underneath. Slowly she went up the stairs and to her room first, to retrieve a small box that she placed in her pocket. Then she made her way to Russia's room.

The larger country was asleep on his bed. She placed the cookies on the night stand and crawled her way onto his bed. She began to shake him.

"Wake up Ivan! It's Christmas! Finland came and gave us presents! I made gingerbread cookies!"

"Oh did you, da!" Ivan grabbed her whilst laying down and gave her a big cuddley hug. She laughed and giggled.

"Merry Christmas Ivan."

"Merry Christmas Nina."

They made their way down stairs to open their presents with the plate of cookies. They sat themselves down beside the tree, and took their presents. Tula going first in opening. Inside was a music box. Dark in color. On the inside there was a picture engraving. A person holding the Flag of Tula and another whom held the Flag of Russia, they stared at each other. The tune of the box when opened was Polyushko-polye.

Russia then opened his. Inside his box is a pocket watch with the same engraving on the inside of the watch.

They then both ate a cookie that lay on the plate beside them on the floor. Nina then placed her hand in her pocket upon the small box.

"Hey Ivan?"

"Da?"

Nina pulled the small box out of her pocket, "This is for you."

Ivan took the box out of her small hand. Inside was a necklace chain with a sunflower charm on it. Small tears mad there way to his eyes as he held it to his chest, "Nina," he cued as he pulled her in for a large hug. Nina then took the necklace from him and put it around his neck.

Ivan then picked her up into his arms and stood up, starting to make his way to the other rooms.

"Where are we going Ivan?"

"You will see."

He had taken them to the green house, to the very back. There laid a pot with a sprout.

"Is it another sunflower," asked Tula.

"No, a rose, for you."

"Ivan," she said as she hugged him,"you shouldn't have."

~~~~~~~~~~~

The memory faded out as she fell into sleep once more.