Chapter 2 | Getting Ready

Mornings at Mayers were never quiet. A warm cup of coffee underneath the morning sun, surrounded by the scent of the flowers growing in the garden is more like a concept we dare not partake on. It's winter break but Aiden's perpetually late for this Winter Assembly his sports team set up to prepare for the upcoming season which we all know is just an excuse to hang out without anyone ditching. Dad and Papa were no better, waking up at past 10 after doing god knows what. They said it was movie marathon though. Do I believe it? No.

Being back home, I thought my body clock would make an adjustment just to spare me but you can't have everything that you want in life. I woke up at 7 sharp, jogged at the neighborhood and helped around the kitchen for breakfast. Polly was more than happy to have an extra set of hands with all the rush going around. "Wasn't it a lot easier though? I mean, there were two less mouths to feed after Hailey moved out and I went to university." She scoffs, seemingly insulted with my perception. "Not at all, young man. Your Papa always wants to learn all these kinds of recipes on his free time. What a mess the kitchen is after all that. Don't even get me started with Aiden. That kid is so picky. So sweet but so picky. Your Dad, your Dad thankfully has not set foot on the kitchen since that one time he blew off the microwave after heating up a soup in a ceramic cup." 

"All that mess! I bet Papa was horrified." 

"We all were. We thought the house' going to burn down." She looks at a distance probably visualizing the events on her head. "Oh, don't you have any plans today? Aren't you going to the salon or the boutique to buy yourself a new suit? I don't think the ones in your closet will fit anymore. You lost a lot of weight, son." I stare at her with confused eyes, perplexed with the mention of salon and suits. Poppy does her infamous hands on the hips, head and upper torso slightly bended to the side and an eye roll stance making me anxious of what I could've missed. "I can't believe your fathers forgot to tell you. The Millers are holding a Gala night tonight and you're all requested to attend."

"Oh, shit." The Millers are one of the big names in the industry next to ours and uncle Peter's. I heard once that we were like the Holy Trinity of Business Sector but I'm not religious enough to actually care about the title. I just know they're rich and I'm just a son who practically owns none of it. The Millers specializes more in the IT Industry and I certainly remember meeting Quentin Miller, the director and owner of Millers Corp. He's great friends with my grandfather and hanged out with him a lot. He'd tease about marrying off his child to me only for me to find out later on that it's not a daughter but a son. Luckily, the son has been studying overseas so I never had to actually deal with him. "How could've they missed it! Gosh, those two! I'll go ahead and confirm with them. I'll leave you to this Polly." She gives me a salute and I'm off to wherever my parents are.

"I am incredibly disappointed that you have forgotten to tell me about the Gala." Dad peeks up from his laptop with his eyes narrowed. "We didn't tell you? Boo, you didn't tell him?" Papa feigns innocence by acting surprised. "I thought you'd tell him!" Really now. Of course both of them will point fingers.  "Whatever. What time is it going to be? I have no suits that'll fit me." A seemingly careless sentence brought about a heavy silence between us. Dad and Papa look at each other's eyes before they let it fall on me. That carried me back to the main reason why I've been looking forward to this year's vacation; why I've been craving for their affection. "I-I'll tell you soon, I promise. Just, what time will it start so I can do whatever I need to do now?" 

Papa forces a smile and mutters "Eight o'clock." 

"Got it."

It's not the first time I had to buy suit without much time to spare. Back in High School I had to buy a new suit on the same day of the prom because Aiden splattered paint all over it. I thought it came out artistically but Papa refused to let me wear it. Thankfully, my best friend Jamie or Lotus as what everyone calls him, has inherited her mother's skills who happens to be a renowned Fashion Designer and was able to pull some strings to help me get a new one.

Now, Lotus is diving more in that field and is majoring Fashion Design and Merchandising at a popular design school near my university letting us hang out frequently. I was actually grateful that he's there with me because if not for him, I wouldn't have the courage to pick myself up and go back here to seek solitude. He has always been my anchor; one that slaps me in the face to get my shit back together. 

We usually go back together but he had to fly back earlier this year to help his mother in her Atelier. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd have no time to help me out today but just to be sure, I make my way to the Atelier.

Lotus spots me as soon as I parked my car in front. He rushes out and welcomes with a kiss on the cheek and a big hug. "My baby! You finally made time for me! I told you to meet me as soon as you've arrived!" I roll my eyes on him. Ever so dramatic. "We've seen each other two days ago." He scoffs, intentionally sounding peeved. "Yeah, at a different city! Now come, come, I just know why you're here!"

He leads me inside the place where as pristine as it looks at the front area, actually looked a lot more like an Atelier at its core. "Dear Kyle! Oh gosh, look at you! It's been hard, wasn't it?" Veronica, Lotus' mom looks like your typical Instagram mom; tall, slim, brunette and looked like she hasn't aged since her early 20s. She's also my godmother hence the worry. I simply nod at her. My weight practically screams how hard it really has been. I've always been at the slimmer side in the first place and getting thinner is like a red light on the top of my head. 

"Alright, let's get this started! Lotus, darling, you know what to do. The Miller's Gala has no theme as always" she makes sure to slip in an eye roll, "but it doesn't mean we can dress like a drab! Quite the contrary! We have to dress to impress and make sure that our darling Kyle here will make guys and girls fall for him!" I'm more sure now where Lotus got his personality. "Mom, you have lots of other things to attend on. Fittings, remember? Leave Kyle to me." Veronica looked reluctant but follows her son nevertheless.

Lotus guides me to a more private corner of the Atelier and begins to take measurements. "So, have you talked to you parents?" I shake my head. "Not yet, Hailey's coming home for Christmas. I want her in too." 

"Since, we have no time for new ones, let's go through the samples that passed the test." He then leads me to the adjacent room that looked a lot bigger than the client area. I've been here before but it surely looked a lot smaller in my memory. "That's a good call, waiting for Hailey, I mean. She'll be a great moral support. You're strong babe, you can do this. Anyway, how's the home? Parents still in love as always?"

That, I can't deny. Love seemed to have no expiration between Dad and Papa just like how it should be. "Yeah, I'm thankful for it though. Where will I be if they didn't pick me up from that shithole of an orphanage. You'd think people there are compassionate, caring when really, they're as bad as they can go." I was but a child back then who knew nothing about love, about life. Dad and Papa brought me to better place, a better world, the best family. Lotus smiles at me that of a proud father. I met him just after I moved in with Dad and Papa. He has always been a cheerful kid with a pure heart. He had no one to call his father but he grew up full of love. "That reminds me, is V ever going to get married again? I thought she was dating this British guy?"

Lotus hollers surprising me and the staffs that made their way in the sample room. "It was a disaster! That British man is sure as hell in love with my mom but he's T-A-K-E-N, MARRIED! If I didn't stalk his gram no would talk shit about it." Veronica has been in and out of a relationship and even if Lotus acts like he's used to it, I knew deep inside he wants his mom to settle down and find happiness. "Does she love him?" He shrugs. "She says No but I feel like she does. It sucks." It does sucks. The last thing Veronica wants to be is to become a home-wrecker. "One thing to lift our sprits up though, the daughter, his daughter, DM-ed me and told me her dad's sad and that the wife, is not her mom or anybody's mom. Adding on that she actually HATES the Witch, her words not mine!" 

"Then that's a good sign, I think?"

"Yeah, I guess so? Anyway, enough about mom. Let's deal with that later. Here! Sleek, black suit with a bit of sparkle! Wonderful! What do you think?" 

I observe the suit. It's made of soft velvet and embellished with Swarovski crystals on the cuffs, collar and hem. It's subtle but at the same time made the whole piece a lot classier. "I love it." Lotus nods approvingly and spares no time to pull me to the dressing room to let me fit into it. "Few adjustments here and there and we'll be perfect! Gosh, I love this job. Look at you! Who'd think you'd go for dicks!" I got to embrace this vulgarity too. It's what makes Lotus after all.