Chapter 6 | Sad Reality

The anxiety failed to give me some good night's sleep. I sit by my windowsill, watch as pitch black becomes sunrise. It's majestic. I hear some rustling from below where our garden's at. Hailey's in her silk, lavender robe while holding a cup of coffee on her left hand. "Hey." She doesn't look up but acknowledges me with a reply. "It's amazing isn't it? We get to see both the sunrise and sunset at home just by moving areas." Indeed. I wonder if it's by chance that our parents found this place. "It's really painful, isn't it?"

I let the answer hang into silence.

"I get it why you didn't tell us right when it was happening. I was the same. If I didn't bring Oliver here, you would've never known he existed. I'm just glad you let us know."

"Of course, I'd let you know. I've always wanted to tell everyone. I just want it to be all solved and well once I do it. Unfortunately, life has other plans." My stomach rumbles lightly. The sun has fully risen and although I love the view, I'm not fun of the heat. "I think they're awake. I'm going down for breakfast."

Dad is not making any eye contact but he's more calm now than he was last night. Papa has probably coaxed him into rethinking how he should've acted. He never really liked it when Dad gets enraged. "Morning, Dad, morning Pa." 

Dad forces a smile through his coffee as Papa envelopes me into a hug, "Good Morning darling."

Aiden enters the kitchen with a big frown still plastered on his face. I can just imagine what he's thinking and trust me, those were my thoughts too back when everything was still so new. "Morning."

Hailey finally follows suit and we settle into a peaceful morning meal.

We reconvene at the library after tidying up and getting ready for the day but instead of borrowing light from the fireplace, the curtains are set aside to allow the natural light shine through the large windows around the room. 

"You do know what we want to do after this, right?" Dad straight up questions me. 

I do. They're my parents afterall and the crime suspect is still out and about although missing. "Yes, Dad."

"Your Papa and I talked more about it last night and we will not be stopping until we find that fucktard but before we can do that, we do want to have your approval. It's going to be your choice, Kyle. Do you want to find him?"

I nod. I'm not sure what will happen once I see him again but I want them to find him. I want to have some closure. 

Dad sighs, leans back on the couch where Papa's settled beside him. 

Aiden rises walks back and forth in the middle of the room. "Are you going back to school?"

"Of course I am."

"But-but, it's not safe. He might just be around." I understand the worry he's feeling. It's exactly what I felt for many days after the incident but this is the sad reality of my life and we can't do anything anymore but move forward. "It's not but I'll manage. I've been doing fine for months before I went back here and everyone's there with me, remember? I have Lotus, Cart and Jules. Not to mention, I have to take up an internship after break."

Aiden doesn't get it yet but he let it go. If there's one thing I've decided on despite the painful memories is that I'm not backing out from what I've already started. There could be so much more for me out there. 

"I'm going to move in with you." Hailey steadily announces while gripping the arm rests of the wing chair. 

"No Hailes, I have a dorm room. I'll be fine."