Chapter 5 | Truth

Our Christmas has always been grand. We're not really Christians but we've been joining the festivities for as long as I can remember. We have food and music all day, everyone just enjoying the day as if it'll last forever. I personally love the comfort it brings despite the cold weather. For a day, problems are inexistent and life is perfect.

Hailey finally comes home as well and she's with someone. Her boyfriend. They've only been going out for a few months but the change in her is evident. She seems so calm and content, far from the Hailey a year ago who had her hair in large curls, with blonde highlights and face plastered with heavy make-up. It's like the personification of the line, 'I'm a wreck'.

Knowing her, although she was never one for simple looks, her style has always been the "cool girl in the street"; rainbow-dyed hair and multiple ear piercings. Hailey's the kind of sister who'd beat people up if they catch them bullying her brothers. 

Her boyfriend on the other hand, is the quiet type. No, not the quiet and mysterious kind of guy. He's the quiet and shy type who fidgets when attention falls on him. Imagine having all the guys in the family corner him to have "the talk". Not to mention, Aiden intentionally being a jerk just to prove a point. It was not an easy feat but it thankfully ended peacefully.

"So, how's everything?" Where do I even start? It's not like it's the kind of question you see on your Physics exam but I feel like I need a formula to find the answer. "Not good, I see. What is it this time? Who broke your heart?" I haven't even uttered a word but she managed to hit me right on the spot. 

"Is Oliver going to join us for dinner?" Smoothly, I try to swerve the conversation. She smirks, knew exactly what I was doing. "No, he's leaving in an hour. His family lives in the next town. I'm going there for New Year." That's, good. I wanted to say but I'm not sure if it's actually a good thing. We're finally complete and it means there's no backing out for me anymore. "I'm happy for you." I mean it. "I'm glad, you found him."

She shakes her head and looks far ahead although the farthest view our eyes can reach is the wall that surrounds the estate. "He found me. It was a maze but in the end, he found me." How poetic but her eyes says it's the truth. 

Our family has this tradition of seating in front of the fireplace in the study room after Christmas dinner. Each of us tells our story. How life has been for us? What are the funny memories you created? What were the shitty ones?

Dad starts with the story of him waking up beside Papa, like he does every year. He's so cheesy but they both seem to love it. "Listen kiddos. You don't know how amazing it is to wakeup beside this beautiful man every single day. The road has been rocky before we came to have this wonderful family and I'm still thankful he didn't give up on me. I love you boo." Papa's eyes are glistening with happy tears. Their love is so real you'd wonder why you cannot touch it. "Anyway, a special story for this Christmas, we're thinking of adding another angel to our family."

They couldn't mean a—

"Angels, to be exact." Papa intrudes. "Your Dad and I wants to adopt a baby boy and a baby girl, a twin." I sneak a look at Aiden. He's the baby after all. I can remember being jealous when I heard about having a new baby brother, he might feel the same too.

"No way." See? "Are you really going to?" Poor little boy. He might've felt like he's being replaced. "Oh yeah! I've been begging you for siblings and you finally gave in!"

"What!?" I can't help but feel surprised. I'm not particularly sour but I was ready to comfort the boy if ever he felt lonely but I guess that's not needed. "I mean, this is great, really but I just didn't expect you'd be the one asking them for siblings."