Chapter 5: Just Like Old Times

Shutting the car door and putting her sunglasses on, (Y/n) couldn't believe that she was really coming back to this town.  Nothing bad ever happened here from what she recalls, but something really does seem strange.  The scent in the air wasn't like before, but it was hard to describe and difficult to tell what it was.

Blocking her thoughts put of her head, (Y/n) continued to walk down the sidewalk and already could smell Cliff's food and it made her smile.  Cliff, of course, was the owner of Cliff's Diner and as a kid, she would also go there to get bubble gum from their gum machine.  Another reason why she went there was to talk to Cliff and his wife Sandy.  The last time she went to see Cliff was after his wife died and just to be there for him. 

Besides, it wasn't too long after she lost her sister and father and her mother starting to act up.  The two went bird watching a lot in the woods and did quite a lot with each other.  Both were distracted from each of their problems, but it was still in the back of their minds.

Walking into the diner, she stood there in disbelief and saw that everyone staring at her.  Was because of the outfit she was wearing because it was pretty formal.  Or did they recognize her and was shocked to see her back here in Alabama.

(Y/n) walked inside and took a seat by the window and watched as the waiters and waitresses took guests' orders and kept an eye out for Cliff.  After a few minutes went by and as people left and came, there was no sign of Cliff.  Normally before anyone left he would almost always check on how their meal was. 

"If you're looking for Cliff, he isn't here anymore.  He's been dead for about two years now."  Looking up (Y/n) saw a woman with the hood of their jacket covering there face.

There was an awkward silence between the two as the woman sat down and invited herself to lunch with (Y/n).  Her voice as very familiar but a person never came to mind so she let her stay, but was very cautious with her. 

"Two years you say?"  (Y/n) said, trying her best to keep the conversation going and not let it fall flat.  Like a heartbeat. 

"Yeah... So you really don't remember me (Y/n)?  After you leavin' for the Big Apple I thought you'd at least remember me."  Pulling off the hood, a girl with blonde hair and deep blue eyes.  That's when it hit her hard in the stomach, enough for it to be hard to speak.

"Christina, I know who you are how could I ever forgot you!  It's just been a while is all."  Christina's expression lightened up a bit and her muscles her less tense.

(Y/n) could see the beauty within her and the way she always curled her hair at the ends and whore a little bit of makeup.  The way she always had a notebook in hand or in her bag and always took notes of her surroundings and people.  But that girl wasn't the girl who was in the diner and sitting across from her, something was clearly off as her eyes were tinted pink and her eyelids having light dark circles around them. 

It bugged (Y/n) to the point that she spoke up about it and immediately regretted opening her mouth.  Christina said nothing for a while and only stared at her blankly and fiddled with her fingers.  (Y/n) could faintly hear Christina's foot tap the floor due to anxiousness and awkwardness. 

"I've just been very sick, and it's not contagious so don't worry!  But I've also been having a few nightmares but that is all, nothing more and also, have you seen Brian?"  She said, "Brian" in a slightly sour tone.

"You mean Brian as my ex's best friend?"  Christian nodded.

"No, I haven't seen Brian and I really don't plan on to.  I don't have the time to."

"Why is that?"

(Y/n) looked up at her and bit her lip and let out a soft sigh.  "I  have to plan my mother's funeral."  Christina nodded and looked out the window for a while and put her hand on her neck.

A few minutes pass by when Christina abruptly stands up and pushes the table and knocks over the salt and pepper.  "I-I'm sorry about that, but I have to go.  I just realize I'm late for an interview, once again I'm sorry!"

Christina left and soon (Y/n) was left alone and she only shrugged her shoulder and left the diner, not exactly having a purpose there in the first place.  The atmosphere suddenly got colder like it was almost fall, but the problem with that is that there was hardly any breeze only sun and summer had just started.

Continuing to go down the town, quite a few stores have gone out of business and have been left empty.  (Y/n) kept going down until she decided to stop, feeling a tingly feeling on the back of her back and head.  It was weird, it was as if her neck and head fell asleep like how your hand or foot would.  Scratching and itching wouldn't help and the feeling of slight nausea was fluttering in her stomach. 

Instantly, she knew she had to go home and quickly went to go back to the car.  It took a while as she had to take a break from walking as the urge to throw up and gaging was on her mind.  It was like (Y/n)'s throat was either being squeezed or something was being pushed down her throat.

Clumsily, (Y/n) got into the car and on her seat was a note and the words were slightly unsettling.  It read, "GO TO THE HOUSE.  WE'RE GETTING IMPATIENT WITH YOU.  IT WILL TELL YOU THE TRUTH." 

Staring at it for a while, (Y/n) rested her head against the steering wheel and accidentally pressing down on the horn.  It startled her, causing her to whip her head back, hitting her seat pretty hard.  Groaning in pain, she started the car and rubbed the back of her head. 

Instantly she pulled out of her parking spot and headed back home, that same tingly feeling wouldn't go away while her stomach got a little better.  That's when it hit her and her heart dropped and a little bit of fear was taking over her.

Was it hear?

All (Y/n) wanted to do was go home and sleep on it.  Tomorrow was a better time to go considering it quite a while from her house and it would be dark by the time she got there.  So in the morning, (Y/n) decided that she would go to the house then her mother's house.  Whoever wrote that note in her car might get off her case now.