Chapter 12: Is There Hope?

Running in circles did no good, but without knowing the layout, there was no hope. The air was so cold it felt as if she was swallowing needles, slowly poking and cutting her throat. She hid behind some old crates before peeking over to see if they were close behind her.

For what felt like hours, (Y/n) has been playing cat and mouse with some person in a white poncho. Almost as if it was a little kid underneath a bed sheet pretending to be a ghost. It was clear to see who they were since they had a good covering their face with some kind of mask on as well. Maybe it was just a face mask. It was unclear, what made it harder to tell, was how dim it was in the place.

Before getting up, she opened up the crates to see if there as anything in them. Surprisingly there was, it was full of food from apples to watermelons. Some of the fruits were rotten, but a majority of them seemed fresh and ripe. Why would someone have these hear? Why not take the rotten food out? (Y/n) questioned.

But just like that, she snapped back to reality when taking a small glimpse of what was in front of her. She stumbled before getting up and running it was getting super tiring, a groan came from one of the rooms she passed by. It had a number four on it, as much as she wanted to help whoever was in there, it was an all for one game.

Once she turned another corner, she slid into another room and hid behind the door. The loud footsteps of the person went by, which made her sigh in relief, at least in her mind. If she made a sound, it was a possible game over.

She looked out the doorway and quickly went back down the hall and eventually made it to the room with the four on it. Looking around, nobody was there, but before (Y/n) left, the sound came back. She swung her head around and still saw no one, but when she felt a hand around her mouth, fear shot through her.

Quickly, she elbowed the person in the stomach, then stepped on their foot, then hit them in the nose, and finally in that one spot. They fell to the ground, but before lifting their hood, (Y/n) saw them reach for their gun. She instantly kicked their gun away and pinned them face down to the ground.

"I guess that self-defense class did come in handy." She said as she pushed them harder into the ground.

There were zip ties in one of their pockets, so she used them to restrain the mysterious person. They struggled to get away while kicking and groaning, but still, (Y/n) kept her composure. She picked up the gun and ran out of the room to find a way out of this place. There was a staircase somewhere that would eventually take her to the main level.

From what she remembers, she was three levels down from the main level. She hustled to try and find the stairs, in case if there were any more of those crazy, serial killers. They haven't been on the news before, so that may mean that they were new at this whole killing thing? At this point, (Y/n) didn't want to think about it.

After what felt like hours, she found the staircase. There was an elevator, but it looked old and rusty, so she didn't want to take them risky of dying. Yet, that probably be a more peaceful death rather than being shot or stabbed to death. She prayed it wouldn't come to that.

~•~•~€~•~•~

After climbing up the stairs, she tripped over the last step and dropped the gun as she hopefully made it to the main floor.  It took a while before (Y/n) stood up again, and let out a sigh of relief.  It was warmer on this floor, but still, she could see breath escape her lips. 

Slowly, she got up and made her way around the floor to find the exit.  She hugged herself to keep warm, but in the process, looked down at her hands.   The gauze wraps her dirty, and so she took them off.  Her cuts weren't that bad, but some of them would be permanent.

It was a while before (Y/n) did find the exit, and once she did, her heart stopped.  Not only was it night time, but wherever this building is, it's in the middle of nowhere.  It was on a hill that overlooked the whole forest but was far away from her house.

"What else could go wrong?"  And just like that, it began to rain, and misery took control over her.

How the hell am I going to get home?  She began her long journey to try and get come and walked down the trail that would sooner or later come to an end. 

A little rustle came from a nearby bush, and a clicking sound followed after it.  Something white poked out of it as well as something brown.  The lense of a camera also was seeable, and just like that, she began running.

It didn't attempt to run after her, instead, it stood still and didn't move a muscle. If anything, it ran in the opposite direction father and deeper within the labyrinth of a forest.

Relief washed over (Y/n), but this nightmare wasn't over. There were still miles upon miles until she reaches back to the house. It was more difficult this time since it's night.

Looking at the stars, it somehow made everything around her fade away. That warmth of reality hugged her by the waist, remembering what it was like to live a life worth living for. It was better than constantly feeling as if someone was watching them.

Fireflies danced around in the grass as it swayed with the light breeze and danced to the cricket's songs. This was the part of Alabama she missed, this is what forever will be in (Y/n)'s heart.

No doubt about it.

-/-/-/-
(Look at comments to see an important message by yours truly)