Chapter 16

He will be here any minute now with our own little army

They're going to jump out, kill all of them, and Cole won't have to see another person being shot in the head from trying to escape.

He won't see the other children being dragged away as their guardians scream from their lungs before they too are shot.

Cole is lined up with the other children across from us. His tears are streaming down his face and there's nothing I can do to help him. No child should witness this monstrosity, no child should ever be in this position to begin with.

Cole should be in school learning numbers and colors but instead, he's fearing for his life.

My knees are sinking into the mud below me, the rain mixed with blood is seeping into my trousers. I turn around and look at the pile of bodies, faces of people I have spent time with. I gulp and try not to look, keeping my eyes forward and on Cole as bile rises to my throat.

Cole doesn't take his eyes off me, snot and tears mocking me that I've got him into this position. I should've been protecting him and not driving him into this mess.

I hear a Scottish accent saying 'Nah' and a shot is fired. It's not Theo's voice but the exact same accent like they came from the same place.

I can see tattoos all over his massive arms, clenching onto an assault rifle as he marches his way past us all, inspecting us.

His grey beard is trimmed and shaped, blue eyes noticeable even from a distance, dark grey hair styled to the side

"Well, well, well, what have we got here, Cole Coulter." He bends down to Cole's face and I yell at him to stay away from him, not caring about the consequences.

How does he know Cole?

My body reacts before I can think, sliding in the mud as I try to stand. He is my brother and I have to protect him.

He stands away from Cole and walks over to me, I can see Thomas glaring at him as he leans down to me, his blazing blue eyes find mine.

"Now you, Zara, I am very aware of." He smiles a wicked grin and looks me up and down.

I stare at him, scared to let out the words running through my head. How does he know me?

Before he can continue spitting words into my face, Adrianna and all our fighters run into the middle of the shit show.

I feel my body ease, letting a deep breathe out and inhale softly.

I can see Theo at the back, eyes trained on me, shaking his head when I try to stand again.

"What a surprise, Adrianna. You finally found your sister. She's a beautiful one, isn't she? Maybe I'll take her for myself." The horrid man says, not flinching when my sister has a gun pointing between his eyes.