Ch. 1 - Medicine

Logan's p.o.v.

I adjust my normal navy blue tie as I stand behind checkout isle three. My shift starts at precisely 7:30 every morning, but I technically don't begin until 8:30 (when the store actually opens). I usually restock items and make sure everything is up to code before we open.

It's 8:31, only a minute after opening time. I don't expect anyone to come in for a while. Well, no one except one person. As if on cue, a dark figure opens the door with his hood up. He quickly disappears behind the isles as he grabs his groceries. He's smart and comes in when there's no traffic in the isles. Knowing him, however, he has different reasons.

Virgil Sanders is always on time. He arrives every morning a minute after opening. He's always in a crabby mood, but he started warming up to me when he noticed I was the only other person in the store with him. He used to never talk, but it slowly turned to saying "please" and "thank you." Just recently he's actually started to converse with me.

After four minutes, Virgil walked to my check out with a bunch of ramen a bottle of coke, and a box of tissues. He took his hood off and his black hair was in his face, acting like a built in hood. I began to scan his items as his black colored nails clicked against the counter, anxiously.

"Why the tissues?" I inquired as I scanned them. His crystal blue eyes looked up at me.

"Ah, I think I'm coming down with a cold. Either that or my allergies. Or maybe it's something else.." He said as he began to bite his nails. I could tell he was working himself up over it. Although I haven't conversed with him for long, he seems like the type of person to get worked up the most purely because of his thoughts. 

"What 'something else' could it be?" I said as I scanned the first of many of his ramen packs. 

"Dunno. Maybe it's tuberculosis, or maybe the black plague. Should I start writing a will? Oh, god. I didn't think the end would come so soon." He said, genuinely serious. I know those aren't completely wiped out, but with our vaccines and medicine nowadays it's not as much of an issue. 

"While not impossible, I think that's highly improbable. However if the symptoms get worse or persist, then seeing a doctor might be wise. 

"'I think that's highly improbable'" he says, mocking my tone. "If I die I'm blaming you, man." 

I laughed just a hint, as I continued scanning the ramen. "You'll be fine. Just make sure to wash your hands," I finished scanning his 45 (I miscounted) packs of ramen. "And eat a salad for once."

He grumbled at me and inserted his credit card into the machine. "You're not the one in college." He muttered.

"I technically do go to college, it's just online." I replied.

"Hm. To get away from people. That's smart."

"Well, yes and no. It's mostly because I don't have to waste my time driving anywhere and I have a more lenient schedule. Though I suppose the lack of human contact is a bonus. In my opinion, social interaction is merely a waste of time." 

He looked up at me and smirked. "So I'm just a waste of time?" 

My eyes widened. "No, of course not. What I merely meant was--" 

He chuckles and cuts me off before I can finish. "I know ya didn't mean it that way, man; I'm just messin' with ya. I gotta agree with you though. Talking to people is scary and exhausting and a waste of time. I mean, unless they're chill like you." 

"Am I the only one you talk to?" I ask, genuinely curious. 

He puts his pin-code into the machine and shakes his head. "Nah. I have a roommate who forced me into a friendship. He's pretty cool, though. There's...also this one guy from my english class. But the only interaction I've had with him is him asking me for a charger."