Ch. 22 - Broken

Lydia's p.o.v.

Work was exhausting today. Being an intern at a hospital and having shifts of over 32 hours is not fun. I got to scrub in on a surgery today though, which was pretty cool. Anyways, as I'm driving home on the highway, I get a phone call from Roman. I pick up the phone. 

"Hey, drama queen. What's up?" I ask. Me and Roman have bonded a lot over our mutual encouragement of my brother and Patton's relationship. Virgil's in on it too, but he's a little more shy around me. 

"Hola, chica! I was just checking up on you. We haven't talked since like...yesterday." He said. I laughed. 

"I've been at work. Besides, I think you can get along just fine without me. Especially with Virgil around."

I heard him sigh through the phone. "Yeah, but Virgil's not here. He's off dealing with him." I could hear the disgust in his voice, and I honestly shared it with him. Though I've never met him in person, the stories I've heard from Virgil (when I say Virgil, I mean Virgil told Roman and then Roman told me) I don't need to meet the guy to know exactly what he's like. 

A douche. 

"What'd he do this time?" 

"He got mad at Patton and then Patton went missing for, like, the rest of the day. Dan was waiting in V's dorm the entire time, and I think he finally got him to leave. I actually was just on a call with him and he had to go because Patton came home in tears."

"Aw, is he ok? I can't imagine what that kind of abuse can do to an innocent little bean like Patton."

Roman was silent for a moment before speaking again. "Oh, Virgil wants to join the call. Hold on, I'm gonna merge him in."

"Alright." I said and waited patiently. 

"Heeeeey, my dark and stormy knight. How's it going over there?" Roman asked. 

Virgil sighed. "Not good. I finally got Patton to calm down. He's still in terrible shape though. When I came out here to call you he was just sitting on his bed staring off into space."

"Oh my stars...did he say anything when he got home?" Roman asked in a concerned tone. 

"I don't think it had anything to do with Dan. He just cried and said a bunch of things that made no sense." 

"What kind of things?" I asked. 

"Things like 'I can't do it anymore' and 'I can't believe I did that to him.'"

"Who? Dan?" Roman asked, just as confused as Virgil. I shook my head. There's only one explanation to explain it. That involved my little brother. 

"I think something went down with Logan again." I said. Roman gasped and I could hear Virgil sigh through the phone. 

"Of course, how did I not guess that?" Virgil said. 

"Well, she is Logan's sister, so she's quite the scholar herself." Roman said, trying to lighten the mood. While I appreciated his attempt, it didn't make me feel any better. I turned on my turn signal and took the exit to my house. 

"Alright, guys. I'm gonna head off. I'm almost home and I need to check on Logan." 

"Mk, cya." Virgil said. 

"Farewell, Lydia!" Roman said as I hung up. I stepped on the gas a little as I got closer to home. Logan's my little brother. I've known him ever since I was four years old. I know what he's been through, and I know how he responds to trauma and grief. 

Not well. 

I pulled up in our small driveway and didn't even bother pulling in all the way. I turned off my car and got out, running up to the front door. I opened it and ran in, looking around. The tv was still on, and there were a few unfolded blankets lying on the couch. Logan was nowhere in sight. 

I heard a crash come from upstairs, and I didn't waste a moment. I ran up the stairs, skipping a step and opened the door to Logan's room. 

All of his sticky notes that were once on the wall were now thrown all over the floor. The wooden chair at his desk was now on the floor, broken into pieces. And there, in the middle of it, sat my baby brother. He was kneeling down, holding his head in his hands as he muttered things to himself. 

"Logan?" I asked. He shot up to face me, his eyes were bloodshot with tears. I could tell he was sad, but it was hard to see past the rage in his eyes. I immediately went over and knelt down beside him, wrapping him in a hug. He struggled and tried to get out of my arms, but that only caused me to latch on more tightly. 

Finally, he stopped struggling and just cried. He went limp and we just sat there for a little bit. He didn't cry for as long as I thought he would, though. Which leads me to believe he's done it earlier today. 

"What happened with you two?" I asked in a hushed voice so that I could keep him calm. He just shrugged. 

"I-I told him."

"Told him what?" 

"That I-I...I wanted an intimate relationship. He even said he returned my feelings. Yet...y-yet.." He said and started shaking again. I hushed him and hugged him. 

"Take your time, Logan. It's ok."

He took a few deep breaths and then continued his explanation as to what had happened between them. 

"He said no. He said it's wrong and," He grew angrier as he kept talking. "Now I'm infuriated because I let myself have hope that he might accept and that we'd be together. I had hope, Lydia. Look where that got me." 

"Hey, hey, Logan. Listen to me. I'm sure he'll come back around. For now, just take a few deep breaths. Ok?"

He nodded. 

"Ok, now what did he say specifically?" I asked. 

"He said that I barely knew him and that he'd only cause me harm. Then he said it wouldn't be fair to Dan. Then he said he'd still want to be my friend. But...I don't..I don't want to be friends."

"Shh, I know, Logan. I know," I said. "We don't have to talk about it anymore." I checked my watch and saw that it was almost time for dinner. I looked down at him. 

"You want to take a nap while I go make dinner?" I offered. 

He nodded and I stood up, offering him my hand. He took it and I helped him up. He took a few steps over to his bed and flopped down on it, not bothering to get under his covers. I ruffled his hair before walking towards the door. 

"If you need anything before dinner, I'm just gonna be downstairs. Alright?" 

His face was hidden in his pillow, but I saw him nod. I went downstairs and looked to see if we had anything in the kitchen. I decided to just make chicken caesar salad. I began getting out the ingredients as I quickly made two bowls. 

Once I had finished preparing them, I went back upstairs to Logan's room and peeked my head inside. He was sound asleep on his bed. He was curled up in a fetal position and was hugging one of his pillows. I sighed and gently placed his bowl on the table beside his bed. I picked up all of his sticky notes and put them back up on the wall. Some of them weren't sticky anymore so I had to use tape. 

I then took his chair to the basement so I could repair it. After finding out that he'd done quite the number on it, I gave up trying to fix it and just threw it in the trash bin. I then went back upstairs into my room and searched online for new chairs. His old one sucked anyways, and he needed the cheering up. 

His chair was broken, his heart was broken. He's falling apart. I don't think he can take much more heartbreak before he himself becomes broken too. 

∆§∆

(Buckle in my dudes. There's plenty more angst where that came from. Anywho, even tho that was depressing, I hope y'all enjoyed. Cya, lads! -Manzana)