Ch. 2319 - Cactus

Bernie's p.o.v. (technically 3rd p.o.v. bc Bernie's mind is too sophisticated for our infinitesimal minds to handle)

Life for a house cat is simple. You get up, eat, fall back asleep, wake back up, chase a mouse, eat the mouse, fall back asleep, wake back up, eat dinner, fall back asleep, run around at 3 am in the morning, fall asleep, and repeat. 

Bernie used to live in a terrible shelter. The other cats would pick on him and steal his food for years. He thought he'd never get out of that place. Until his owner, Lamp, picked him up. She barely had to even look at any of the other cats. She took Bernie, regardless of his age and how scrawny he was. 

So it seems that Bernie has learned things about both worlds. This makes him a very wise meow dog. 

=^.^=

Though Bernie loves his original owner, he loves his other one more. His other owner is named Cactus. Or, at least Bernie thinks...

Anyways, Cactus is the main one who takes care of Bernie. He feeds him, gives him water, and spends the most time with him. Sometimes when Bernie doesn't get enough attention, he has to go seek it out like a peasant. Luckily, Cactus always drops anything he is doing to pet Bernie. 

Bernie also has to give Cactus attention too. Sometimes Cactus will be sad and will stare off at nothing. Other times he'll lock himself in the bathroom and come out with bandage bracelets. Then he tends to cover them with fluffy sweaters. 

Just earlier this evening, Bernie saw Cactus cry cactus tears. He's never seen Cactus do this before, so Bernie had to roll off the couch to devise a plan. He sat at the top of the stairs and listened to Cactus and Cheerio's conversation. It sounded sad. Really sad. Cactus never behaves in such sad ways. 

Cheerio sounded pretty upset too, but Bernie couldn't quite tell because he's only been able to master Cactus' habits and feelings. After a while longer of listening, yet not really understanding, Cactus and Cheerio left, leaving the house quiet once more. 

Bernie had to think of a plan for when Cactus got back. However, it was snack time, and Bernie was sure he saw a mouse in the basement earlier. He crept down to the basement and chased down his linner. 

=^.^=

A while after Bernie had consumed his delicious snack, he heard the door open. He wiped his mouth and ran up the stairs to see Cactus walk back in. He usually takes notice of Bernie, but this time he went straight up to his room. Bernie, a bit offended, followed Cactus up to his room. He sat in the doorway and tilted his head as he watched Cactus. 

Cactus stood in place for a few minutes before he went his wall and ripped all his colorful triangles--or are they squares? Ah, doesn't matter--off of the wall. Bernie watched as they fluttered to the ground. Cactus then swiped at his throne, causing it to fly across the room and break, causing a loud thud. 

Bernie ran off due to the loud crash. He loved Cactus, but he hated loud noises more. He ran down the stairs past Lamp as she ran up to probably check on him. Bernie decided to sit in a nearby laundry basket and contemplate the happenings that were happening right before his eyes. 

Soon, Lamp came back down and began preparing leaves and chicken with soup on top. He'd never understand owner food. She took both bowls and went back up the stairs. Bernie decided he'd go up as well to check on Cactus. 

When Bernie walked into Cactus' room, it was dark. Cactus was napping on his bed, but even while he slept Bernie could see how sad he was. He knew that it was only a matter of time before Cactus woke up and put on the bandage bracelets. He didn't like the bandage bracelets. 

So Bernie left the room and walked with a purpose to the bathroom. He jumped up onto the sink and sat there, his tail swaying slowly back and forth. And waited. 

And waited. 

And waited...

.

.

.

.

=^.^=

The light turned on in the bathroom, causing Bernie to open his eyes. Cactus was staring at Bernie with a look of confusion. Bernie blinked slowly at Cactus, as he realized that he had been waiting for so long, he took a nap literally in the sink. 

He stood back up and brushed against Cactus' arm. He didn't move at first. Bernie meowed and rubbed his head against Cactus' hand. Bernie looked up at Cactus, who was smiling just a hint. He pet Bernie and even gave him scratches behind the ears, which Bernie always appreciated. 

After a while of petting, Cactus said something to Bernie. 

"I have matters to attend to, Bernie." He whispered, and made a shooing motion to Bernie. 

Though Bernie had no idea what that meant, he knew what the shooing motion meant. Bernie didn't care though. He simply kept rubbing against Cactus. Finally, he let out a quiet chuckle and scooped up Bernie. He turned the bathroom light off and walked back to his room, leaving the door open just a crack. 

He set Bernie down on the bed and got changed into his nap outfit. Cactus sat on the bed and climbed under the covers. He put his glasses down on the table beside the bed. As if on cue, Bernie curled up right beside Cactus and curled up in a ball. 

Cactus began to pet Bernie until he took a nap. Bernie stayed awake a little bit longer to do some last minute thinking. 

What made Cactus so sad? Why is Lamp always stressed? 

...

And what the hecc is a Cheerio? 

=^.^=

(This was supposed to be a small bonus thing, but I somehow made a whole chapter of it. Anywho. If you didn't understand the Monsters Inc. reference in the title, I'm disappointed. I got writers block for the chapter I'm currently writing, and I was petting Bernie when I got the idea to write this. Spoilers, he's not actually this smart in real life. Or...is he? ._. Anywaysss, hope you enjoyed. Cya, lads! -Manzana)