Ch. 19 - Memories

Patton's p.o.v.

I stayed with Logan for the rest of his shift. He even let me help him restock some things and help scan people's groceries. It was nice just to get my mind off of everything and just help people out. Though I was still worried, because Logan seemed off. 

He let me man the cash register while he went to go restock the bread. The store was pretty empty, so I guess I was kinda just sitting there the whole time. I fiddled with the sleeves of Logan's sweater. It was really soft, like silk. I smiled to myself, because it's not something I'd expect him to wear. 

I looked up from the sleeves and I could just barely see him. He seemed normal enough. He was quiet, collected, and moving with a purpose. I don't know, I just felt like he kinda opened up around me. We did have a fight, but after we hung out for a bit and watched tv together, I felt like that was us making up. Was I wrong? 

I hopped off the little stool behind the counter and tip toed over to Logan. I didn't want to disturb him too badly. I stopped a few feet away from him, rethought my decision to get up, decided it was a bad idea, and turned around to go back and sit. 

"What is it that you require, Patton?" Logan asked as I froze in place. 

I turned around and smiled nervously. "Uhh..nothing! I-I was just getting bored over there so I--wait, that sounded rude. I'm not trying to be ungrateful after everything you've done I just..well, I--"

"Patton Tyler." He said sternly. 

I looked up at him as he stood and walked over to me. He was gonna keep moving closer, but I saw him hesitate as he stepped back a little. He put a hand on my shoulder. 

"It was my pleasure to look out for you today. Please do not feel any need to feel bad or make it up to me. It is not necessary."

"Oh, well..ok. If you say so.." I said, smiling a bit.

He nodded and quickly moved away from me to stock the bread. I stood there for a little bit longer, waiting for him to say something or for me to think of something to say. He put the last loaf of bread on the shelf and looked at his watch. 

"My shift is over in a few minutes."

"Oh, ok," I said before we went back into an awkward silence. Not wanting to make it awkward, I quickly added, "Thank's for letting me get away while I could." 

"Like I said, it was my pleasure." He said as he walked to a small door, unlocking it and going inside. I peeked in to see a small break room. Logan grabbed his things and said a few quick words to one of his co-workers who seemed to have just gotten there. He wore a pink vest and had small, round glasses. 

"Good afternoon, Logan! How was your shift today?" 

"Adequate." He said simply. 

"In a good or bad way?"

He tilted his head. "I'm not quite sure what you mean."

"Ya can't fool me, Logan. If you really had a good shift, you'd say 'satisfactory.' When you say adequate it means uneventful or upsetting. Now, which one was it today?"

Logan didn't answer for a moment, he just stood there looking at the other man. He then shook his head and collected the rest of his things. "Emile, I am not one of your test patients."

"I'm just trying to look out for you, ya know." 

"What is 'ya?' It's pronounced 'you.' Logan said as he turned to leave. 

"Love you too!" He said and laughed. 

Logan walked out of the room and shut it behind him. He immediately began walking towards the exit and I had to run to catch up with him. We walked through the parking lot to Logan's car. He parked at the other side of the parking lot. I couldn't help but wonder who Emile was to Logan. For some reason, I couldn't get over how he said "I love you" to Logan. I felt..jealous? Though I didn't know why.