TWENTY-THREE (ii)

{ take this chapter with a spoonful of sugar. it just had to be this way, okay? 'mkay, leggo. }

»»-««

023. KISS GOODBYE

( to be forced to regard as lost, ruined, or hopeless. )

»»————-————-««

As insured, an ambush had waited for them at the close of the lava flat; diabolic and well-plotted.

The Ichor that climbed in her was gushing with pleasure, adding to Myra's confusion, as if awaiting the entrance of something. The nerves in her fist toughened as the ferry hovered down gradually, the remnants of IG-11's sacrifice drifted slowly to the sleet of fire.

It was honourable self-sacrifice, even for a being so heartless. Besides, the odds were never in their favour. Mechanized and bound to protocols of its maker, a single move, a divine piece in their escapade, IG-11 had promised to protect them and in the end, stayed to true to his words. For their sake, for a droid, bereavement was not an option. 

Around them, the descending current of lava unfurled to the sunlight of midday. The sky was drenched in a single splash of blue, contrasting with the blackened coal and ivory armoured soldiers that were scattered without noise. Tossed in scalding marks of the fire from IG-11's explosion, they remained unmoving. Dead.

Myra's hand instinctually reached for the Mandalorian's elbow with a breath of surprise, looking away.

"Relax," he cautioned her.