VI: let's talk business

"In the time that it takes you running back home, I'll make it to your door

"In the time that it takes you running back home, I'll make it to your door. No, I won't let you alone."

~C.C.

༺═──────────────═༻

Stars from long past strike the firmament in a clash to the death with the oncoming twilight, the eternal standoff painted onto the heavens until the cycle repeats itself once again. It's almost comforting to know that there will be another dusk, another day, and the morning after, you are left free to mold yourself into an entirely new identity with the changing colors.

I stand in wait, rubbing the sleep from my eyes through the ski mask. I've taken a lot of safety measures to be here, and quite honestly, I deserve a little credit here. Believe it or not, it's hard to purchase a mask these days without looking like a total creep.

While South Congress is lively in the daytime, it is almost deathly quiet when the shops are closed. The neon lights around Amy's are turned off for the night, and only the wind provides me company. Behind me is a narrow alley filled with trash and racoons, but no people, and certainly no security cameras. Really, the APD is just begging for a string of murders to happen in this exact area.

I check my phone for the time. 11:14 PM. I didn't expect him to be exactly punctual, but I didn't expect him to be so late, either.

Typical, isn't it? Nonetheless, I invited him here; the least he can do is honor his agreement. He's certainly keen on honoring his agreements when he sets them.

Ah, speak of the devil. The professor comes around the corner, eyes darting from side to side. He's afraid of someone spotting him, as he should be. He left his sleeping child and a concerned wife behind, perhaps giving her a hasty excuse, saying he got a call from the university.

She has no reason to be suspicious of his words; he's worked his charm on her so thoroughly that she sees nothing through the veil of sincerity when he flicks his silver-tongue.

You can't fall for the same trick. I won't let you.

The poor fool looks around, but of course, you are nowhere to be found. He checks his watch. You should be here by now.

I wonder where you are at this moment, Naomi. What you're doing. Are you in bed, playing with yourself to the fantasies you've managed to conjure up in your head? Are you with that raven-haired boy in the photos, the one who couldn't make it to your little get-together?

My eyebrows knit together as I imagine his strong hands on your body. They're alien and eager and rapacious and most importantly so undeserving of you.

You drive me crazy by playing so hard to get. I hope this is enough to bring me a step closer to you.

With a sigh and another look around, the professor pulls out his phone. What the hell is he doing?