XXXVII: is anyone truly innocent?

"Those patterns take away my time

"Those patterns take away my time."

~P

༺═──────────────═༻

"Shit."

Yoongi turns to Jimin, who is currently gripping his phone with an expression that looks like a person who saw their grandma get run over by a train right in front of their eyes.

He hopes that isn't the case, but better to have his fingers crossed than be sorry.

"What?" Yoongi asks tentatively.
"This is bad. Really bad." He's lost in his own bubble as his lips set into a hard line, Adam's apple bobbing as he continues to blink down at his phone. The blond looks between him and the screen, then furrows his eyebrows.

"What's wrong, babe?" he asks, voice softening, then resists the urge to balk at his own affection. Babe of all things? He remembers a time when he gagged just thinking about using pet names, but now, they flowed off his tongue like water. And better yet, Jimin liked them, and his smile became something to look forward to instead of dread.

The strings of his heart tug closer to him every time he focuses a little too hard on making coffee or asks for thirds on his cooking. It's becoming harder and harder to push him away, pretend he's unaffected. The mission is blurry in his mind even as he thinks about it, and he wonders if it's worth sacrificing what he could have just to avenge someone who can't rise from the grave to do it himself, only for bitterness to shroud him like hungry vines.

It's the fate he always knew he was marching toward, but it didn't mean he liked it any more than he did that fateful night. When everything changed. When he had to grow the fuck up and wipe the blood that obscured his father's form in the picture frame next to his desk.

Never forgiven, never forgotten. That is the mantra he can't release for his sake.

Jimin shifts on the bed.

"Taehyung's dad died," he says.

"Oh."

Is he supposed to care? Is he supposed to comfort him? Mild panic settles in. Is this the time to tell him everything's going to be okay, or be angry at the world alongside him? Had Jimin mentioned Taehyung's father before as someone he particularly cared about, or is he just empathetic enough to expect him to react the same way?

Luckily, he doesn't have to pick a side, because Jimin continues.

"This is so sudden. He didn't even talk about him that much. Well, he's not really a touchy-feely guy, but I feel like he would've said something if his dad was terminally ill or something, right?"

"I guess so." Yoongi goes back to looking at his phone, then glances back up again to see Jimin's eyes welling up with tears, head down as to appear busy on his phone, as well, but he's never been good at hiding his emotions. "Are you okay?"