XIV: new guy in town

"Riddle on the wall, tell me all the ways to stay away

"Riddle on the wall, tell me all the ways to stay away."

~P

༺═──────────────═༻

There's nothing better than a double fudge sundae from Big Top Candy Shop on a hot day. With my back against the wind, I can savor how comfortable my Birkenstocks are on the hot pavement and really appreciate the scenery around me. I'll wish the day could go on forever, and it'll be sealed into my memory in the form of a smell or that bubbly feeling I can't really put my finger on.

But, unfortunately, I'm enjoying none of that right now, as I'm stuck behind the glass cage that is known as my current workplace, observing the customers coming in and out of the store. Some stop for only a few minutes before picking their preferred coffee grains or tea flavor, but some linger for a while, fingers to their lips, considering the array of choices in front of them.

Just fucking pick one, I wanna say, despite what it says on the package, it's all pretty average for being 100% vegan, gluten free, cruelty free, yaddy yadda. It won't kill you to get the same thing as the last time you were here, will it?

I turn to Jimin to share this sentiment when I notice he's still on his phone instead of serving his customers.

Elbowing him gently, I say, "Yo, you know you still have 2 drink orders to make, right?" He mutters something, but doesn't take his eyes off of the phone. I frown.

Something's off about him today; he's looked at that damn thing 42 times in the past half hour, and the times he has stopped looking at it, he smiles at the customers with a dreamy, glazed-eye look that can only mean one thing:

He's smitten with someone.

"Who's the special gal?" I ask, and the simple question makes him jump. He furrows his eyebrows as his gaze flicks back to the screen every now and then.

"Gal?"

I press him. "Oh, so it's a guy, huh?"

Jimin's eyes go wide, and already, he's flushing red and attempting to hide his face in his shirt. He doesn't do it consciously; it's almost like seeing a turtle go into the protection of its shell.

"I have no clue what you're talking about, dude."

"Really? 'Cause you haven't looked up from your phone for 10 minutes straight, and that dumbass smile on your face hasn't gone away, either. If I'm gonna be making all the drinks for the morning shift, I better have an explanation."

After a second of silence where we're both staring each other down, Jimin finally breaks.

"Alright, alright! Goddamn, can't keep anything from you, can I?" he asks, shaking his head. I cross my arms and wait for him to continue, which he does after stammering for a few seconds. "Well, um, yeah. I might have found someone new, or whatever."