XVII: first impressions are everything

"I wanna hear the things you say when no one's listening, but that don't matter anyway, 'cause you're mine

"I wanna hear the things you say when no one's listening, but that don't matter anyway, 'cause you're mine."

~P

༺═──────────────═༻

Looking out onto the traffic before me, I let summer wind soothe me into relative stability, but it's not enough to calm my racing heart. Faceless bodies faze in and out of existence as the light turns green, then yellow, then red.

Made out of muscle and bone, they don't realize how vulnerable they are in the harsh daylight. Really, anything could go wrong. Just the flutter of a butterfly wing could result in absolute catastrophe.

I scratch at my cuticles.

Can I be honest for a second, Naomi? I'm nervous, mostly because I'm meeting your friends for the first time today, but the worst part is, I don't know if they'll even like me. Uncertainty has always made me anxious, and though I can blend in with just about any group, there is still the chance that I miscalculated somewhere down the line.

As our text conversations became more vibrant over the past couple of weeks, I decided it was time to properly meet them in a more appropriate location. Last time, I couldn't even get a chance to vet them, lest I ruined my chances of getting to you. Though you don't know I'm here, I don't think you really have to. I know that, in your heart of hearts, you want me to look after you like the guardian angel you need.

On a better note, I guess I could count this as my own vetting process. I'll be going through my list of criteria while they go through theirs, checking each of our boxes to see who is really worthy of Naomi Yamamoto.

But I know I'll always come out on top in the end.

After scouting the place for a bit more, I go in when you're busy picking out drink orders, order discreetly at the counter, and sit at a booth 2 spots away from you. Phone in hand, I turn to the side with my hoodie drawn up so I can still see and hear what's coming from your table.

Hoseok is the one that sticks out to me the most. If I can say anything about him, it's that he doesn't belong in a glorified fast food place like this. Majoring in business, he's set to inherit his father's consulting firm in 15 years if he plays his cards right, and though he doesn't look it, his cherry-colored head stores hundreds of pages worth of legal loopholes and tricks that'll certainly come in handy for his line of work.

However, one thing he doesn't know is the ability to hide his wealth. His Louis Vuitton bag is casually draped over the side of a spare chair next to him, and he acts as if he doesn't notice 4 separate people staring at it as he chatters away. He's the loudest one of the group by far, but for some reason, I'm not annoyed by the sound of his voice like I am with most people in general. There's a certain cadence to it that flits from one sentence to another without breaking a social norm in the process.