Chapter 3

Chapter 3

***

May 30, 2018

"Happy Birthday, Matty and Rosey! Happy Birthday to you!"

The crowd of family and friends that sang to Joe and Val's youngest children had come out in large numbers to celebrate the toddlers' first birthday. So far, everything had gone as planned and even though she'd worried all day if Joe and her father would be able to get everything ready for the party, they managed to pull off the feat under the watchful eye of JoJo. Her morning sickness had even eased up as if her third child knew that today was a special day.

Thank God!

With Matty on her lap and Rosey on Joe's lap, the couple helped their children blow out the candles on their birthday cake which ignited a round of applause. The act sent both Matty and Rosey into fits of excited clapping that brought a chorus of "awws" from the mouths of most of the party attendees.

"Time for gifts!" JoJo excitedly announced.

With the help of Joe and Val, the twins began the task of opening gifts, becoming enamored with the bows and wrapping paper to the amusement of their guests.

"I'll remember this next year," Val quipped with the crowd as JoJo began to clear the table, leaving a few bows for Matty and Rosey's enjoyment.

"Val?" Joe whispered, tapping her arm to get her attention.

"Yeah, baby?" she asked, leaning closer to him when he leaned in.

"You wanna tell everybody now?"

Her stomach flipped at the thought of announcing her pregnancy with the shroud of doubt enveloping and masking what should have been a joyous occasion. She wasn't in the least bit comfortable with sharing the news with their family and friends just yet and hoped that Joe wouldn't try to push the issue.

"You sure you wanna do it now?" she asked.

"Sure. Why not?"

"Well, I kinda want the focus to be on the twins right now."

"I understand that, baby, but everyone's here," Joe replied with a slight shrug of his shoulders.

"Not yet, baby. Please?"

"Um ... OK," he said with a nod.

She could hear the disappointment in his voice and see the concern in his troubled eyes. She grabbed his hand in an effort to ease his concerns.

"Soon," she assured.

"Alright, whatever you want, baby."

***

As the party's end drew near, Val's apprehension escalated. She knew Joe would press her for an explanation about her reluctance to share their news once everyone was gone, which left her with just a short amount of time to come up with that explanation. Her nervousness tanked her mood, but she valiantly fought to not let it show through.

"Can I have everyone's attention for a moment?" Joe asked as he stood from his seat with Matty riding on his hip.

With the exception of the overly excited babbling of the twins, the outside patio quieted down.

Val stood with Rosey in her arms and looked up at Joe with a look of confusion.

"Joe?" she whispered.

"Come on, baby. I'm excited. Let me share this. Please?"

"I guess," she said, shrugging her shoulders.