Chapter 15

Chapter 15

***

Val gladly accompanied Kai back down to the in-house bar and grill. While the two waited for their food to be served, they started to get acquainted with each other.

"So, why weren't you at the wedding?"

"I wanted to be there, but I had a summer session to finish up, so I could graduate on time."

"So, you're an educated man, then."

"Yeah," Kai proudly answered, taking a sip of the lemon water he'd ordered. "My parents retired early and wanted me to run this place after I graduated. So, here I am."

"Do you live here in Fiji?"

"Nah. I just come here for about a week or so every month. It really just kinda depends on how business is going."

"Interesting," Val said, stirring her Long Island Iced Tea.

This one, she didn't gulp down in a hurry.

"So," he started, "I know that you're a photographer. Do you have any siblings?"

"I have one sister. What about you?"

"I have an identical twin, but I look better than him."

Val gave him a deadpan stare, fully expecting him to retract his declaration.

"What?" he finally asked, following a few moments of silence.

"Nothing," she said, shaking her head.

"You and Joe have twins. Right?"

"Yeah, a boy and a girl. You have any kids?"

"Nah. I kinda like the freedom to come and go as I please."

"I can feel that."

Kai and Val talked a while longer before their food orders reached their table. After finishing dinner, neither of them wanted to go back to their rooms, quickly deciding to take part in the "21+" pool party happening in just under an hour at the resort's infinity pool.

"How long you need?" Kai asked as he stood at Val's door.

"About ten, fifteen minutes."

"Alright. I'mma go change and we can walk down together. Cool?"

"Sure."

"Alright. I'll meet you in the lobby."

"OK."

Val closed her door and went to the dresser where she'd placed all of her clothing upon her arrival that morning. She fished out a black one-piece swimsuit and matching sheer sarong and laid the items out on the bed. She pulled her dress over her head and threw it on the bed, her cell phone ringing with a FaceTime video call from Joe just as she was pulling off her bra. She quickly tossed the garment to the floor and answered the call.

"Hey, baby."

"Hey, Doll. How's every-are you naked?"

"Just about," she said, laying the phone on the bed.

"God, girl. I can't wait to see you tomorrow."

"I can't wait to see you either."

"Is, um ... is Kai taking care of you?"

"Yeah. We're actually about to head down to the infinity pool for a '21+' pool party."

"Oh really?" Joe said, scratching his earlobe, his eyes flitting about in an effort to stay focused.