SEVEN

SEVEN

KARA

I was on my way home from the grocery store but made a quick detour to Wade's house. He said that he wanted to take Malik to the movies tomorrow. I talked him into letting Malik spend the night so that I could have some much needed alone time tonight.

            I worked all the time and when I was not at work my son was always with me.

            I didn't even bother to stop by the crib to grab clothes for Malik because he had a few outfits over at his daddy's house. When I pulled up I grabbed a sleeping Malik from the back seat before proceeding up the driveway to ring the doorbell.

            "Where Wade at?" I asked the second the door opened and a random female opened the door.

            "He's in the back." She smacked her lips. Who are you?"

            "Listen little girl, I don't know who you are nor do I care. Please go get Wade before I put my foot­­––."

            Wade appeared at the doorway. "What's up Kara?" He greeted me, quickly grabbing Malik from my arms.

            "Uh, who the hell is this? You know I don't like random bitches around my child.

            Wade sucked his teeth. "I know that, you've said it a million times and besides, she was actually just leaving."   

            The nameless bitch he was referring to rolled her eyes at me then looked me up and down before walking past me. She purposely bumped my shoulder but I decided not to act out in front of my son who could wake up at any minute.

            "I'll call you later Wade." She said over her shoulder as she continued walking to her car.

            "So who is that?"

            After closing the door, Wade walked away to lay Malik down on the couch.

            I followed him and leaned up against his fireplace.

            "None of your business."

            I crossed my arms. "Oh, its like that?"

            "I mean, how else do you want it to be? You and I are not together. We co-parent and that's it."

            "First of all, I'm not asking you who she is in regards to trying to get back with you. I just would like to know who's permanent in your life so I don't have to worry about my baby being around a bunch of random bitches." I spat.

            "Well whether they are permanent in my life or a spur of the moment type of thing, I still need you to understand that it's none of your business. I'm not having a bunch of women around him despite what you think. "

            I rolled my eyes. "Ok good. That's all I'm asking for."

            The room grew quiet for several awkward seconds. Nowadays I always felt like we were at odds with one another and could never really have a real conversation. 

            I decided to say what was on my mind.         "Why we always got to be at odds with one another? You act like you hate me and I did nothing but love you yet you walked all over me and cheated on me every chance you got."

            "I'm sorry." I jerked my head back, blown away by his response. I had been waiting for an apology for years. "That's not my intention I want us to be able to co-parent with each other without arguing all the fucking time."