CHAPTER 13 : Whose Side Are You On?

I felt antsy being trapped in that room for hours. Abby still hadn't returned and I was worried sick about Adrian. I wanted to know how he was doing. I wanted to talk to him. I had a million questions burning through my mind. 

    He was my guardian, his assignment was to get close to me. Exactly how close? He kissed me, was that a ploy? Or did he actually like me. He said he liked me. But what if that wasn't true. I was so freaking confused. I couldn't tell what was fact or fiction. I just needed to talk to him.

    My heart break felt impending. I could already feel the phantom pains of ice shards splintering my heart. Like a clock counting down the minutes, it was only a matter of time. I wanted to cling onto the hope that he might have real feelings for me. But that was a little hard to do when the wall that had been pulled over my eyes my entire life, had suddenly been demolished and I realized that my whole existence had been a lie. I didn't know the meaning of truth anymore.

     I slumped down onto the bed, giving into my sore muscles that begged for me to sit down. I curled in on myself, letting the tears I had been holding back finally fall. I couldn't resist it any more. Everything in my life was crumbling, all I had known, everything I had believed to be true was nothing but a lie. 

     My mother's death, oh goddess. I'd been led to believe that she'd perished in a car accident. How could they keep it all from me? She was murdered by a demon.  Demons were real, so were witches. This was all madness. Nothing was making sense. Facts had been laid out in front of me like puzzle pieces, but for the life of me I couldn't see the picture clear enough to put the pieces together. 

      I had spent my whole life believing my mother had been killed by a drunk driver. It's what I knew as fact. I was also led to believe that I was human, that was also a fact. These where pieces I could put together into a picture I could clearly see. But that picture had dissolved and replaced by one that I found blurry. 

      What did this all mean for me?  

     I was a witch. A witch? Goddess, this was ridiculous. I wasn't magical. I would know. That's something someone would know about themselves, right? I exhibited no traces of magical abilities. Things didn't float around me, I didn't have glowing hands and I sure has hell couldn't conjure up things from thin air. I couldn't be a witch, I just couldn't be.

       I jumped back to my feet, pacing. I had a feeling, if I stood still, even just for a second, I would implode. I couldn't deal with this, it was all too much. I just wanted to go home. 

     Where was Abby? 

     I was freaking out, to put it lightly. And to top it all, I was still increasingly worried about Adrian. I wanted him to be okay. I cared about him even if he didn't care for me too. I was stupid for caring, after all, he had lied to me. I felt betrayed above anything. I felt like I didn't even know him. Was it all an act? 

     Everything inside me leaned towards yes. It was an easier truth to believe. Why would anyone like him actually care for someone like me? I wasn't worth it. Of course he didn't like me. Why would he? I was stupid for letting myself fall for it. 

      I paced back and forth, nervously running my hands through my hair. I was falling apart, I knew it. Tears streamed ceaseless down my cheeks and I sobbed quietly in the empty room. 

     It wasn't until a couple of minutes later that a knock at the door interrupted my pacing. Wiping my cheeks first, I went to open it, standing in the threshold of the door was Adrian. My arms were wrapped around his neck instantly. 

     "Adrian," I said, relief out weighing my insecurities "you're okay?" 

     "I'm okay, just a little sore," he said and I could hear the smile in his voice. "How are you doing?"