CHAPTER 17 : Daydream

I had been in and out of hospitals for most of my life. I was three years old when I had my first visit. It was the beginning to a long list of hospital stays. My longest stay was when I was ten. I was in the hospital for about three months, before they decided that I was well enough to return home. 

      I was happy to be going back home, I absolutely despised hospitals. But something about this return home was different. My mom always took extra care of me after my visits to the hospital but this time she was being excessive. 

      She wouldn't leave my side even for a second. She overloaded my bed with pillows so I'd be comfortable. She constantly asked if I needed anything. At the time I thought it was rather annoying. But I understood her concerns. I wasn't getting better.

      I always got better, I'd be sick for a couple of weeks but I always got better. But something about this time told me that I wasn't going to get better. I wasn't ever going to be better. I was dying.

      I could see it in her eyes, she was trying to hide it, put on a brave face. But I could see it, she was scared. 

      Strange enough, I wasn't, at least not in the way I should have been. Nothing about my life had ever been normal. I barely left my house, I had no friends and I was always sick. I knew this day was coming. I knew I was dying. I was lucky I had made it this long. 

       I was scared of losing the people I cared about, my mom, Harrod and my dad. I wasn't scared of dying though. I didn't want to die, I'd barely even lived, but it was a reality I had long since accepted. But she hadn't. 

       "Sleep now, my little prince," my mom gently stroked my hair. I was curled up next to her, my head rested on her lap. 

       "But I'm not sleepy," I said even as I smothered a yawn. 

       "It's late," she pointed out, "plus you have a big day tomorrow." 

       "I do?" I asked trying to keep my droopy eyes open but they suddenly felt so heavy.

      "Yes and you need all the rest you can get." She placed a kiss on my forehead. She slipped out of my bed before tucking me in. I couldn't keep my eyes open another second longer, with another yawn I snuggled into my pillow as I murmured a good night to my mother.

      "Good night, my little prince," she softly shut the door behind her. 

       I woke up barely an hour later. It was the new medication my doctor had prescribed. It made it hard for me to sleep properly. I slipped out of my bed, my legs were barely able to hold me up. I grasped the bedpost to keep from toppling over. I took a deep breath gathering my strength. It only took a minute before I felt steady enough to walk. 

        I made it all the way downstairs and into the kitchen. The house was dark and quiet, signifying that everyone was already off to bed. Or at least I thought so, apparently not everyone was in bed. I heard a voice coming from the parlor. I tip toed over, finding my mother alone, on the phone. She had her back to me so she didn't see me standing by the entryway.

         "Are you sure it will work?" She asked whoever was on the other end of the line. "Yes we'll be there tomorrow...I'm willing to do anything, just save my son, Evelyn." She hung up. 

         "Who were you talking to?" She jumped a little at the sound of my voice. She whipped around with wide eyes that quickly landed on me. 

          "Marcus," she swallowed audibly taking a step towards me, "what are you doing out of bed?" 

          "I couldn't sleep," I took a step away from her, "who were you talking to?"