CHAPTER THREE

Oh shit

Oh shit.

The only words that crossed her mind. For a moment everything was blank and it was like she couldn't hear or think anything other than what Jared had just said. Carlisle had once explained to her a lot of things about the Quileute Pack – or at least, what he knew about them – and she knew what the term imprint entailed. Shit, shit, shit. The term imprint, Carlisle had explained, was something like the term mate to them. She knew it wasn't exactly the same, werewolves and vampires were completely different creatures but there were some similarities.

"So, you're telling me that you're my mate?" she asked, moving from her previous spot on the big root. Jared took a step back as if to prepare himself and shrugged.

"I don't know what that mate thing you're talking about is, but you're my imprint... It's really difficult to explain but it is like something that keeps us grounded, that keeps us tethered to this world. It doesn't have to be a lover, that person could a friend, a best friend but it can be a lover too,"

She raised her brow at his words, his face turned scarlet red, "I'm not suggesting anything,"

She hummed in return, a playful glint in her eyes.

"So, I can be your friend?" He nodded almost immediately. "This is going to be really fun, Jared,"

"Oh yeah. I want to see reactions but how about we keep low for the moment. We wouldn't want them to have a heart attack..." He rolled his eyes as he leaned against a tree and then, sat down. He gestured for her to sit down across him and did as she was told. She followed his lead and leaned back on the tree across him.

She chuckled, "You mean, you wouldn't want your pack to have a heart attack. My family isn't exactly alive,"

He nodded, "That, yes. Mostly my mom though. I know the others won't take it well but they'll have to deal with it anyway. Just like how we deal with Sam and Emily,"

She cocked her head to the side in question, "Never mind, I don't want to know," He nodded in agreement.

They sat in silence after that. Cassandra could feel his eyes on her but she didn't dare to look at him too. She kept her gaze on the thick white clouds on the grey looking Forks sky. It would be weird to say that but she loved the rain and the bad weather in general.

Not only was she able to run free in that weather but she also loved to watch it. She loved staring at every single drop of water or snow as they slowly fell on the ground and made their impact on the land. It was such an amazing sight and she couldn't help but wonder when it would rain again.

Knowing the weather in this town, very soon.

"If you don't mind me asking," her eyes darted back to Jared, "What is a mate?"

Cassandra sighed, "Something like your imprint but that exactly. It's a vamp – my kind's soulmate if you will. Someone you choose to live eternity together,"