CHAPTER TEN

Once she had arrived at the Cullen house, she was greeted with silence

Once she had arrived at the Cullen house, she was greeted with silence. Everyone was in the living room - well everyone except Edward who was camping with Bella and Jacob. Rosalie was sitting on Emmett's lap who had his arms tightly wrapped around his mate. Alice and Jasper were sitting across them and she had her head on his shoulder while he put his arm around hers.

Carlisle and Esme were hugging each other while standing in front of their adoptive children. Their heads snapped towards her when they noticed she entered the room. She sat on an armchair and nodded at her family.

"So, I am guessing you and Jared had a nice night," Emmett smirked while saying that which earned him a slap on the back of his head by Rosalie.

"How did you know?" Cassandra asked even though she knew. She had the biggest smile on her face and she hadn't been able to wipe it off even after leaving her mate at the treaty line. She and Jared had spent the rest of the night there, they had talked, kissed some more and at some point, he had fallen asleep, his head on her lap while she watched the waves violently hit the sand with her hands inside his hair to calm him down.

It had been dreamy and she hoped nothing bad would happen to them during the battle. She wanted to take him on a trip where they would be all alone so that they could finally have some time together without fearing the worst. She knew Sam wouldn't let him leave La Push but if she asked the elders, they would probably cave if she told them that they would be back very soon – which they would be because she didn't want to be apart from her family for a long period.

Before Emmett could say anything else though, Alice had stood up and announced that they had to be in the clearing now as the newborns would arrive soon. She tried to keep her emotions under control, not wanting to alert Jasper.

The family was out if the house in a matter of seconds. They arrived at the clearing and stood side to side as they waited. Alice was in the middle as she watched the newborns get fooled by their trap.

Bella's blood was enough to fool them into coming to the clearing and thankfully, she had fed before coming back home or else the smell would have driven her crazy.

Suddenly, the first one appeared. Cassandra closed her eyes and prayed; she didn't want anything bad to happen to him. Everyone was fighting at least two newborns by the time the wolves appeared. She looked around her and jumped to the next one she saw. Wolves started clawing and biting the ones she shoved down for them and she smiled when she saw Jared. He took down a vampire and looked around the clearing, he seemed to be looking for her.

When he finally saw her, he nodded and off they went. They worked together, bringing down as many as they possibly could. All of a sudden, she felt someone shove her forward and then, she hit the ground with a loud thud. Her hands were pressed above her head and the blonde newborn snarled at her. She tried to shook him off but he was strong.

But before he could do much damage, his head was ripped off and she looked up to see Paul. She smiled genuinely at the silver wolf who nodded and helped her get the body off her. "Thanks, Paul,"

She looked around her and smiled when she saw that no one was left. They managed to kill all of them. She was looking for Jared when she noticed another one. Leah probably noticed him too because she ran to him and tried to kill him but somehow, during their little dance around the field, he got his arms around her. Jacob came to her rescue and fought with the cold one who wrapped his arms around his torso and squeezed with all his might.

The Black werewolf fell down, screaming in pain. He phased back and Cassandra noticed Bella yelling his name while running to his side. The cold one was killed by the rest of the wolves and Jacob was carried away from the clearing as the Volturi were approaching.

"Cassandra" she looked over at Jared as he started leaving with his pack, "Be safe,".

Everything had happened so quickly; she hadn't even understood what was going on. Carlisle placed a hand on her shoulder as she didn't move from her spot where she had been staring at the tree line Jared had walked into a few moments ago.

She hated the Volturi just as much as any other vampire but she didn't let her emotion show as the four selected guards arrived to check on them. The fire with all the dead bodies inside of it had burnt off by the time they had arrived.

They took their hoodies off and she noticed Edward pulling Bella closer to him. "Impressive," Jane spoke, "I've never seen a coven escape an assault this magnitude intact."

"We were lucky," This was Carlisle, calm as always.

Jane answered back with sarcasm in her voice, "I doubt that,"

She could feel them all looking at each and every one of them and she suddenly felt the need to escape. She didn't like this one bit.

Her brother, Alec, spoke next, "It appears we missed an entertaining fight," Cassandra couldn't help but scowl which didn't go unnoticed by him but she didn't care.

"Yes," Jane nodded, her red eyes piercing her amber ones, "It's not often we are rendered unnecessary,"

"If you had arrived half an hour ago," she started, letting Edward continue her sentence, "You would have fulfilled your purpose,"

She stared at her, "Pity,"

Pity, my ass, bitch, she thought. Edward fought to keep a straight face, throwing a dirty look her way where she stood next to Carlisle. She smirked.

That's when Jane noticed someone Cassandra never saw before. A young brunette stood behind Esme in the back, her blood-red eyes startled when all the attention went to her, "You missed one,"

Jasper moved closer to them as their adoptive father escaped how they had offered her asylum if she would behave and follow their lifestyle as 'vegetarians'. Cassandra watched closely as Jane looked at the other before she scowled, "That wasn't yours to offer,"

Oh no...

Then, her screams came. All she could hear where screams. She turned around, her arm locking with Carlisle's as she watched the poor girl be tortured. Jane asked her questions, again and again, but she never stopped using her gift which stopped the girl from answering.

"Just ask, Jane," she growled, "And she will answer. There's no need for this,"

"Perhaps," Soon enough, Jane knew everything she decided she needed to know and did the only thing Cassandra knew she would do from the beginning.

She killed the newborn.