CHAPTER FIVE

Here's the thing; telling your siblings – even though they weren't related by blood, they were still one big dysfunctional family like everyone else – that the guy you like was their worst enemy wasn't and would never be easy

Here's the thing; telling your siblings – even though they weren't related by blood, they were still one big dysfunctional family like everyone else – that the guy you like was their worst enemy wasn't and would never be easy. Especially since that wasn't exactly Cassandra's case.

She wasn't dating and she, by no means, had those sorts of feelings for Jared. They were friends, actually, they were a little more than that. They were imprints which in the Quileute Folklore, that was a really big deal. She had done a fair amount of research, she had gotten a few books, checked online – although she had to admit, the books were a lot more helpful.

She just didn't know what to do or say to make sure that – in Jared's words – her siblings wouldn't lash out. She knew Carlisle had told Esme about her situation; the male couldn't keep a secret from her. Not because she loved to pry or anything but because that was their relationship, no secrets. Cassandra found that really adorable.

Esme – as always – was very kind to her. She asked her how she felt about the situation and then told her that no matter what everyone else thought she should make her decision depending on what she wants, not the others. She mostly feared the girls' reaction; she knew Rosalie and Alice hated the wolves but that didn't mean she didn't fear the reaction of the others too. She knew Emmett and Jasper wouldn't be too happy about things, she only hoped Emmett would take her side.

Truth to be told, Cassandra's favourite sibling was Emmett Cullen. She didn't have a specific reason and it wasn't like she didn't love the others but she just had a soft spot for her. Emmett reminded a little bit of her brother – not for his appearance, the two couldn't look any more different but for his carefree personality. It was like seeing another version of her brother, Jason.

The family meeting had been arranged by Esme who oh so kindly asked everyone to gather around the dining table. When Edward had declined, saying that he needed to visit Bella, Carlisle intervened and demanded everyone's attendance.

Oh, this is going to be so much fun! She thought.

After a few minutes of silence and a few encouraging glanced by her adoptive parents, Cassandra let out a loud unnecessary sigh to gain everyone's attention. Everyone's eyes immediately went on her. "So... How was your guys day today?" For the corner of her eye, she swore she saw Esme shake her head disapprovingly.

Edward rolled his eyes, "If this was the reason you wanted her to gather, then I'm going to leave. I have really important matters to attend,"

Cassandra almost growled, stopping Carlisle and Esme from saying something, "Your sister's life is just as important as your mate's, Edward. Sit back down and let me talk. This isn't exactly easy for me so, you're just gonna listen and then, speak whatever's on your mind,"

She could feel everyone's eyes on her, especially the ginger male's but she didn't care at the moment. She needed to get things off her chest. Her eyes were cast down at the table and she pondered what to say for a minute before she opened her mouth again, "I have some really important new that you guys won't approve of but whatever. Remember that night when we hunted down Victoria and Emmett had that issue with that silver wolf," everyone nodded, even Edward who wasn't there but had found out what happened. For a moment, she waited and thought of her next words and watched as Edward's eyes widened and he took a step back.

"No," he mumbled.

She nodded, "Yes,"

Emmett looked between the two and said, "We're not all mind readers. What the fuck is going on?"

A gasp was heard and everyone turned their attention to Alice who was looking at her with wide eyes, "I can't see your future anymore,"

"What's going on?" Rosalie demanded as she grabbed Emmett's hand who looked overly worried.

"Tell them," Edward spoke, "It's okay, tell them,"

"Tell us what?" Emmett asked. Carlisle and Esme didn't speak as they waited for her to do so.

Finally, she found the courage to say the words, "I am a wolf's... imprint,"

The words brought silence to the Cullen household. Edward was still pacing behind her, his shoes being the only noise being heard inside. Alice wouldn't look at her, she looked really concentrated as if she was trying to find something using the gift of her. As if she was looking for the truth like Cassandra was just playing a trick on them.

Jasper looked shocked, his eyes wide and not blinking as he stared at her. He looked like he wanted to say, to ask something but before he could even open his mouth, her other brother did. "No way. There's no way you are mated to a mut,"

"Not mated," she spoke, her voice hard, "But imprinted,"

"Oh so, there's a difference?" Rosalie asked, her eyes full of hatred for the other species.

Cassandra couldn't help but nod, "Yes. Mated means something intimate, something like what you guys have – Rose with Emm, Jaz with Alice and Eddie with Bella – but what I have with Jared is nothing like that. We don't have to be lovers or anything like that. I'm just his friend,"

"Was it that brown wolf you wouldn't take your eyes off when you pulled me up?" Emmet cut her off before she could say anything else.

She nodded, "That's Jared, yes,"

"What's your guys' opinion on this?" Edward asked Carlisle and Esme who had yet to say about the situation.

Carlisle shrugged, "It's her decision and I'm gonna support everything she wants to do," Esme nodded to show her agreement with her husband and mate.

Cassandra flashed them a smile and turned towards the other and waited. They all looked shocked, angry and something else she couldn't pinpoint. She wanted to tell them that whatever she wanted to be and do with Jared was her decision, just like Carlisle had just said but she was afraid of saying the wrong thing.

"Okay," Emmett said, "So, what is your decision?"

Everyone waited patiently for her answer. She tried to look confident but still, she was a little anxious about their reactions, "I'm his friend and I'll be there if he needs me and if something more happens, then okay."

"So, you don't mind he is a mut – I mean wolf?" Alice asked her.

"I mean the smell is a little bad but nothing I can't handle." A light chuckle escaped everyone's throats, even Edwards.

Things turned out better than she thought they would.