Mint Chocolate Chip

Harry

"The day you ask Louis out on a date will be the happiest day of my entire damn life." Liam clicked the button on his TTS app as soon as we walked through the door to my flat.

"What did you do? Type that as we walked?"

"Maybe so, but that's beside the point."

I rolled my eyes at him and kicked off my shoes, leaving them to lay on the floor. Walking over to the couch, I turned my head to see Liam typing again and began to mentally prepare myself for one of Liam's long lectures.

"Look, mate. I know that you're scared, but you have got to get over it. You can't let him pass by you, alright? He could be good for you. You've been happier since you met him."

"I guess. I just don't want to fuck things up with him. It sounds dumb, but he's sort of filling in the void that Gemma left when she ... went away. Not a lot of it, but enough to make me get out of bed." Liam smiled at me sadly, aware of how difficult talking about Gemma's passing is for me.

"I really like him, Li."

"I know you do. Give it a shot, man. It'll be alright." He walked over to the couch I was sitting on and rested his hand on my shoulder. A silent form of comfort.

I let my head fall and nodded, staring down at my feet. I was never really okay with Liam seeing my cry, so I was trying to hold in my tears, but that proves to be more of a task than I thought it would be.

When I finally let a tear slip, I knew Liam saw it. His hand started moving up and down my back as he pulled my head into his chest. This position was all too familiar for us. We had sat like this every night for at least a month after Gemma had passed.

Flashback

Quiet sobs racked my body. She drowned. They couldn't recover her, and now she was gone. Liam's strong arms hold onto me, one hand on the top of my head, and the other rubbing my back.

The whole world feels silent except for the ragged breaths falling out of me.

Gemma was the only person in my family I still had frequent contact with, and now it feels as though I have nobody.

"Liam?" I move from my position, lifting my head up. He nodded his head as a signal for me to continue.

"You know how people always wonder why the world goes on after they lose someone?" He nods.

"It doesn't feel like that. The whole world feels like it stopped turning. I don't know what to do with myself."

Present

Liam has told me that he never wished he could speak back to me more than he did that day.

I pull myself out of his hold and wipe my eyes, straightening out my posture to make me feel more put together.

"I'll ask him."

And Liam gave a mile-wide smile.

-

Louis

I have been waiting for Harold to enter my store since my shift began ... 5 hours ago. I have 3 more hours left to wait before I accept defeat and go to his flat after work.

If I'm honest, I'm quite confused as to why he hasn't come into my store yet today. Usually, I have to force him out so I can actually do work. Not today, apparently. Which is incredibly annoying.

I decided that I'm actually going to ask him out today. I've been blaming Niall for me doing it, just so I can get him off my back, but in reality, I want this for me just as much as Niall does.

Time seemed to go by very slowly, until, finally, a tall man with curly hair walked through the double doors of the store. Well, not just any tall man with curly hair, because, let's face it, we get at least twelve of those in our store every day. This one, however, was even better than all of those curly-headed guys, because this one was Harry and Harry is just better than most people in general.

I watched as Harry roamed the aisles closest to my register, trying to pick out something small so that he has an excuse to come over to me. He didn't need to do that, though, because it was just about time for my break anyway.

I went ahead and shut down my register, flicking off the light to let the other shoppers know that it was closed, then waltzed on over to where Harry was standing. I stood on my tippy toes to put an arm around his shoulder, resulting in him jumping up in surprise.

My face held a sheepish smile, "Sorry, mate. I didn't mean to give you a fright," I apologized.

"Sure you didn't," He laughed, dimples making an appearance.

"I promise I didn't. I was just about to go on break. I'm not usually supposed to bring shoppers into the break room, but you're not a shopper, you're my buddy."

"My buddy, my buddy, where ever I go, he goes!" Harry started singing, laughter flooding his voice as well.

"You're a goofball, let's go."

"You love me," He joked.

Maybe I do.

A/N: Hey folks! First update of this story in almost a month, sorry about that. I've been busy working on Weight on my Shoulders and sort of forgot about this, but I'm back at it now. Also, I pasted the URL for the song that Harry was singing in the media so that you can listen to it if you want. I'm sorry that the flashback part was so sad, and I'm sure some of you will be mad at me for having Gemma not be alive, so I'm sorry. Bye folks!