Chapter 15- The past

We just couldn't catch a break. Wall Rose had been breached by the titans now, and it was on to the next mission. I was in a room with my dad, Levi, and a few other soldiers when the news broke. We were on the move almost immediately, everyone grabbing horses and gear. My dad had placed a select few of us to ride on a wagon with the priest, or whoever he was, that apparently had been keeping secrets about the titans within the walls.

"You'll be riding in the wagon along with the man in question, Eren, Levi, Hanji, Armin, and Mikasa" the commander said to me before we took off.

"Why can't I ride by you?" I asked, wanting to stick by my dad at a time like this.

"I need you guys together," was all he had to say. I didn't have much time to question him, since we had to get going.

"Alright," I sighed. "Good luck dad."

"Stay safe Y/N, I'll see you soon." He pulled me into an embrace, and then we went our separate ways.

Eren, Armin, and Mikasa were already on the wagon when I got on. We were waiting on Levi, Hanji, and the other guy. "Hey guys," I said as I got on.

"Hey Y/N," they responded almost in unison. I took a seat and we waited a minute until they arrived. I scooted down once they made their way on. Levi sat next to me, the priest beside him, and Hanji on the other side.

We started moving forward with the mission. As we rode on, I couldn't stop thinking about the dream I had just a few hours ago. This whole day had been so hectic, I couldn't even process anything. While I was spacing out, the others were arguing with the priest guy about him not spilling the details. Levi pulled a gun on him at some point, but I couldn't focus on any of what was actually going on. I didn't really care about any of it to be honest, all I really cared about now was my father. I was feeling really worried about him, more than usual, and I couldn't shake the feeling. I wanted to protect him, but I didn't know how. I know it's not my job to protect him, and I know that there's not all that much I could do, but I am strong. I was one of the top in my class, and I know it's because of what my mom taught me.

My mom grew up in the underground, I'm not exactly sure how she got out, but she said it was because she was a fighter. She told me she pretty much had to take care of herself from a young age, and she had to grow up fast. She never had a normal childhood. Her father wasn't in the picture, and her mother was crazy. She said she used to fight with her mother a lot, sometimes even physically. My mom always told me not to trust anyone, and to always be aware of my surroundings. She taught me how to fight, since she had to learn how in the underground. "Always be prepared for the worst," she told me, "assume that enemies are surrounding you at all times." She told me this almost everyday as far as I can remember. I always listened, because I knew she was right.
One time, when my mother sent me out for groceries, and I didn't have enough money to pay for it all, a man offered to pay for me. Being young and naive, I let him pay and thanked him, then went on my way. I had noticed that the man was following me on my way home. I panicked, and ran toward an alleyway that turned out to be a dead end. The man eventually had me cornered, saying "hey little lady, aren't you gonna pay me back somehow?" I was terrified, but I started thinking 'what would mom do?' As he neared me, I threw all the groceries at him and took off running as fast as I could. From that moment on, I started listening more closely to my mother's warnings. I believe she's the reason I'm a strong soldier. I may not be as strong physically as some of the others, but I was able to fully analyze a situation before making any moves. I try to never make a blind decision, or let my emotions get the best of me during a fight. Things might be different when it comes to my dad though. But I couldn't worry too much about that, I have to have faith in myself.

I began to wonder how she actually met my father. She told me they met at a bar in town, but I wonder how she came to trust him. Maybe she didn't completely, and that's why she never told him about me. I started thinking about my dream again, and the song that she said she danced to with my dad. I would have to ask him about it later.

"Y/N?" someone called me out of my trance. I blinked back to reality. Everyone on the wagon was looking at me.

"What's wrong?" Levi asked, looking at me with slight concern.

I was confused at first, then I realized why they were all looking at me. I reached my hand up to my cheek and felt tears. I quickly wiped them away and responded with, "I'm fine. Sorry, I was just thinking about something."

We finally arrived at the stopping point, where we would all go our separate ways. As we gathered our gear and supplies, Levi and Hanji were questioning the priest again. This time, he had seen the reality of what was going on with the people. He was still being difficult, but he offered a name. It was the name of one of our classmates in the 104th Cadet corps, Krista. Apparently, she was of royal blood, and she was some sort of clue to what was really going on within the walls. All of a sudden, Sasha came bursting in with a message from Commander Erwin, and handed it to Hanji.

As they were discussing Krista, and we were all getting our gear on, Levi came over to me. "Oi, Y/N," I turned to him, "are you doing okay?" he asked, probably still concerned about me crying earlier.

"Yeah I'm okay, I just can't stop thinking about this dream I had earlier," I responded while continuing to get my gear on.

"A bad dream?" He asked.

"No, not a bad dream, it was about my mom," I finished putting my gear on and turned back to face him.

"I see... do you want to talk about it?"

"Nah, not right now," I said, looking around, "maybe some other time." I wanted to talk to him, but now wasn't a good time. Levi knew a little about my mother already from what I'd told him before, so I knew he understood somewhat.

He nodded in response. "We're about to head our separate ways, be careful out there. Try not to let it distract you anymore. Stay sharp. Your skills will be needed."

I sighed and gave him a small smile in response, "thanks captain."

We all regrouped and Hanji discussed the plans with us all, then we were off on our separate ways.