Chapter 19- A song

Back in Trost, my father was being treated for his injury. I couldn't believe he lost his whole right arm. I stayed by his bedside, only leaving when I was ordered to do so. Taking the opportunity to talk, I decided to talk to him about my mother. I started by telling him about the dream I had a few days earlier.

"You play the piano? And sing? That's amazing, I'd love to hear that sometime," he stated after I told him about the song my mom taught me.

"Yeah, so do you remember that song? I think it was called 'Moonlight'," I explained. "Mom told me you guys used to dance to it."  (A/N: you can choose any song for this, I just chose one of my favorites)

"Moonlight? I'm not sure, I'd probably have to hear it to know..." he responded while trying to think.

"Well, I could sing part of it for you, then you could see if you remember it or not," I said with a grin.

"Oh, I would love to hear it."

"Alright." I began singing part of the chorus for him. "I never knew, I never knew, you could hold moonlight in your hands, til the night I held you. You, are my moonlight, moonlight." I stopped there. "So... ring any bells?" I asked.

"(Y/N)... that was beautiful. I do remember that song actually. God, I don't know how long it's been since I heard that song..." he trailed off, looking deep in thought. "Wow, you have such a beautiful voice," he said as he looked back at me.

"Thanks dad," I said with a smile. Then we were interrupted by a knock on the door. It was Levi and commander Pixis. "Should I leave?" I asked.

"No, you're more than welcome to stay if you want," Erwin answered. I stayed and smiled at Levi as he took a seat next to me beside Erwin. Pixis sat on the other side. They then proceeded to discuss the latest mission, and I quietly listened in. Soon they were interrupted by another knock at the door.

"It's Hanji," Levi informed Erwin, "come in."

"Pardon the intrusion, Erwin. Commander Pixis, glad we caught you." Hanji and Connie came in and saluted. "Uh this is... State your name." Hanji ordered.

"Sir! Connie Springer, sir! 104th Cadet Corps," Connie said while saluting. Connie's eyes were huge,  like he had just seen a ghost or something.

"Connie here is originally from Ragako," Hanji stated.

"Ah yes, where the invasion seems to have begun, correct?" Pixis questioned.

"Yes, sir," Hanji answered. "In fact, he's corroborated a valuable piece of evidence in that regard. I think you'll find his story supports our hypothesis. Soldier, if you would." She turned to Connie. He went on to tell his story.

"You're saying the titans responsible for this were the citizens of Ragako?" Pixis asked in disbelief.

"I see. So, in actuality, titans are human beings," Erwin concluded.

"Holy shit," I said as I processed it.

"Well, we don't have proof yet," Hanji added.

"Great," Levi started, "Ive spent all this time, all this energy, and the things I've been carving through like carrion... were people."

"Look, we don't know for certain," Hanji concluded.

After Hanji and Connie left the room, we were all left in our thoughts. Levi stood up to watch as they left the building, then turned back, saying "Now what?" His eyes widened in shock at the sight of my father. Mine did as well. "Excuse me, what's with that smile?" He questioned.

"Oh, it's nothing," Erwin replied. "Just... seems to me like we've taken one more step toward the truth."

"Wow, one whole step, huh?" Levi responded. "At this pace we'll run out of people before we actually reach it."

"Everything comes at a price," Erwin continued. "One day we'll get close enough to break through. The wall barring us from the truth... will tumble."

"Well that was a real whirlwind of shit thrown at us," I stated as I sighed audibly.

"Sure was," Levi responded.

"How the hell would all those people even become titans in the first place?"

"We'll just have to wait for Hanji to figure that one out," my dad answered. I just put a hand on my head and groaned.

"You okay, (Y/N)?" Levi asked probably in response to my dramatic actions.

I looked up at him, "I'm fine, my mind is just fucking blown." I noticed he was standing, so I asked "what about you? Shouldn't you like, not be standing on your ankle?" I sounded slightly more irritated than I meant to.

"My ankle is fine," Levi quickly stated.

"If you keep walking on it, it's never gonna heal, you know..." I don't know why I sounded so irritated. I didn't mean to, but I did. I turned back to my father and rolled my eyes for comedic effect as I smiled, to which he let out a chuckle and smiled at both of us. I did my best to lighten the mood whenever I could.

"Tch, I'll see you guys later," was all Levi had to say before exiting the room, leaving my dad and I alone again.

I turned back to face my father, and he had a big grin on his face. "What?" I questioned as I gave him a slight glare.

"So, nothing's going on between you two, huh?"

"Huh? No! I told you before, we're just friends!" I was blushing madly.

"Uh huh, sure," he laughed in response.

"It's the truth! Besides, do you have any idea how embarrassing it is to talk to your dad about your love life?"

"Love life?" He teased.

"Figuratively speaking," I retorted. "But anyway... there is nothing to discuss because he would never see me that way." I crossed my arms while trying to move on from the subject.

"But you want him to..." he continued pressing.

"Want him to what?" I played dumb.

"See you in that way."

"I- Oh I don't know, maybe, I- quit asking me all this!"

"I see... I'll see what I can do."

"What? No- don't do anything, dad. You'll just end up embarrassing me!" We continued with our banter for a little while longer, and talked about him and mom again. I loved hearing stories about them. Eventually, it was time to say goodnight.

"Goodnight, (Y/N)," my father said as I gave him a quick hug.

"Goodnight, dad," I said before leaving the room and heading to bed.