Chapter Five: One of my own

It was quiet,too quiet.

It had been like this all week,besides his occasional spurts of starting his book-keeping requests; but he knew that could only satisfy him so far . . .

At the barbecue last week Brian had been gloating about how many dogs he had adopted from the Shelter since he moved in,which gave Y/n an idea.

Why not get a companion to keep him company??

He had made his mind a few hours ago but couldn't find the patience to message Brian for the address, so he decided to do his own research.

Getting dressed in some of his nicer clothes from his wardrobe he took $150 with him,hoping it would be enough.

He was wanting a slightly older dog, that way he didn't have to toilet train them and they wouldn't be as energetic.

He hated to admit it but he wasn't exactly getting younger himself.

With that he drove to the Shelter without a problem.

-

Arriving at the front of the Shelter he opened the door for a lady before walking in after her,walking to one side of the reception desk,he gently tapped the small service bell.

Rushing out from the back was . . . Mary and Damien?!

Completely dumbfounded Y/n's jaw dropped slightly ajar,Damien looked so different; he looked like an average guy.

"Y-Y/n . . . ?! I-I ughh . . . " Damien stuttered out,averting his eyes.

Striding over Mary whispered a soft,"Don't do anything you'll regret" in my ear before proceeding to serve the lady on the other reception desk.

Shyly making his way over to the reception desk,Damien adjusted his glasses.

"Y/n I didn't mean for you to see me like this . . . so I-" Damien started explaining him self softly.

"Are you kidding? I like this Damien too, you look really cute with your hair up like that you know" I smiled. "Although I'd be lying if I said I expected to see you here" I grinned gently.

Rather speechless Damien fell silent for a brief moment before he shot him a small smile, "Thank you Y/n , I appreciate it . . . ".

"Now I presume you're here to adopt,correct?" he questioned pulling out an adoption form.

"That's right" he smiled,his spirit shaking a little as Mary walked by to guide the woman around before shooting him a tense gaze.

"Follow me, Y/n" he smiled taking the lead as he started showing him all the different dogs they currently had on the premises.

Small ones,big ones,old and young.

They all had their stories however there was one in particular that stuck out at Y/n more than the rest.

A little black and white Boston Terrier that went by the name,"Brandy"; you could tell that Mary had been the one to name them-

"She's the one,Damien" I smiled kneeling on the ground patting her gently through the wire doors.

With watering eyes Damien smiled,"Damien? You okay?"I questioned,Brandy gave a small yap.

"O-oh ugh this is nothing . . . it's just,it seems I got rather attached . . . " Damien started sniffling trying desperately to maintain his calm composure.

"O-oh well, you know you can always visit Damien,I'm sure she'd love that too" I smiled holding onto his hand with a reassuring smile.

"Yeah . . . you're right, forgive me for that . . . " he sighed wiping away his tears from underneath his glasses.

"You have nothing to repent for,although I'm pretty sure she's ready to jump over this door to get to us" I laughed watching her running about her tongue hanging out.

Damien chuckled softly,"Indeed".

"Hold on girl" he whispered as he went through the keys around his neck,before opening the door; putting her on a leash,a bittersweet smile on his face.

"Come here Brandy,come here" I smiled patting my knees as he jumped out of Damien's grasp and up into my arms,her leash dangling down onto the ground as she started licking at me wildly.

"Hello honey,hey; aren't you gorgeous . . . !" Y/n smiled as he let out a soft laugh as she started trying to lick his nose.

Watching with a smile Mary walked over to us, the lady walking out empty handed.

"Hey prince charming, found your princess?" she grinned,giving Brandy a gently scratch behind her ear.

"She totally stole my heart, what can I say she's a real charmer"I smiled holding her close, as she looked around inquisitively.

"She's not the only one I see" Mary mumbled,glancing over to flustered Damien whom cleared his throat,suggesting they fill out all the paperwork.

Letting me off the hook Mary let out a sigh before giving me a brief wave,"Take care of her".

Following Damien to the reception desk,with Brandy in my arms I sat down and filled out the adoption form.

"Her adoption fee will be $120, which includes a week's worth of food,flee treatment,de-sexing and micro-chipping, we have payment plans if you need it" Damien explained with a soft smile.

"Oh it's fine" I stood up to get my wallet out of my back pocket before pulling out $120 dollars out before handing it over to Damien.

"Congratulations on your adoption" he smiled, his voice once again bittersweet.

"Wanna hold her?" I questioned, tearing up once again Damien nodded before I handed her over with a smile.

"We're only a few steps away remember, you can always visit" I smiled,putting my wallet back in my pocket.

Placing a soft kiss on her forehead Damien returned her to me,his eyes puffy within minutes.

"I'll have to take you up on that deal" he smiled, taking his glasses off to rub his eyes.

"I'm really glad I came in today,Damien; it was great seeing you" I gleamed,rocking Brandy softly in my arms.

"Y/n . . . you're one of the few who know and I want to thank you by-" before Damien could finish he was interrupted by Mary who hollered out,"Damien we have an escapee!" .

"Let's catch up later okay?" I suggested,with a brief nod he raced after Mary who was chasing a pesky Beagle who was skipping about.

"Come here Daisy I swear-" Mary exclaimed chasing after her.

With a chuckle I waved them off with my companion in my arms,walking out of the shelter I smiled looking up at the sky,I finally had one to call my own.

Things definitely weren't going to be lonely now.

Never again.

(I would appreciate it if you could take the poll below, in regards to who you want the ending to be with!)

https://www.quotev.com/sacrificalbloodbride/poll