Prisoners

Midge Klump's funeral. Something nobody had been expecting to attend so soon. A sixteen year old girl. Dead. At the hands of the town serial killer who everybody had thought was gone.

Cheryl and the river vixens stood at Midge's coffin singing a song. They all wore black versions of their cheerleader uniforms. Everyone else in the large crowd wore all black also. Lexy stood next to Sweetpea who held her hand tightly. On the other side of Lexy, stood Reggie. When he saw the look in Lexy's eyes, he grabbed her other hand. He knew how close her and Midge were.

"How are you doing, Lex?" Reggie asked her after the funeral.

"Okay. I mean, as okay as someone can be after seeing their friends dead body." Lexy said.

"Yeah, that's not really something many people should have to say."

"Tell me about it."

"You'll pull through though. Eventually."

Reggie pulled her into a tight bear hug, something that always made Lexy feel better.

"I hope so."

"You ready to go, babe?" Sweetpea asked, walking over to his girlfriend.

Lexy pulled out of Reggie's grip.

"Yeah. You get the bike warm?" She asked him.

He smiled and nodded before walking away to his motorbike. Lexy turned back to Reggie.

"So you guys are an official thing now?" He asked.

"Yeah, Reg, we are."

"You and the serpent."

"He has a name. And he's good to me. He makes me happy."

Reggie scoffed. "I'll see you later, Lex." He turned and walked away from her to go comfort Moose.

Lexy knew he didn't like the Serpents. She knew he never had. But why did he have to be so cold about someone who made her feel safe? He always told her that he just wanted what was best for her. Sweetpea was. She made her way towards Sweetpea who was waiting for her on his bike. He smiled when he saw her.

"Hop on your nobel steed Andrews. Your house or mine?" He asked.

"Yours. I just want to be with you today." She said wrapping her arms around his waist.

"I was hoping you'd say that."

***

"Is frozen pizza supposed to be this... cold?" Sweetpea called from the kitchen.

"News flash, that's what frozen means. Cold." Lexy replied dumbly.

"Thanks for the insight."

"Don't ask a stupid question if you don't want a stupid answer."

Lexy continued to scroll through her laptop absentmindedly until she ended up going into her photos. Her most recent one was of Midge Klump, hanging dead on the stage. She had been looking at this picture a lot since that day. She didn't know why.

"Hello? Earth to Andrews? Lexy!"

She snapped out of her daze. "Huh?"

"I've been calling you for five minutes. Why are you so distracted?"

"It's nothing."

"Really? It's nothing?" He asked suspiciously.

"Yeah..."

Sweetpea went to join her on the couch and Lexy quickly tried to shut her laptop but he stopped her before she could. He took on a serious expression when he saw Midge on the screen.