Fortune And Men's Eyes

Fred softly knocked on Lexy's bedroom door before opening it, knowing he wasn't going to get an answer. He sighed sadly upon entering the room, seeing his daughter still sitting in the same spot on her window seat, with that same blank stare.

"You really should be in school, Lex." Fred whispered, although right now her perfect attendance wasn't the thing on his mind.

He set down a tray consisting of cereal, orange juice and toast. He then took away the other tray he left for her last night.

All of the food was still on it.

He frowned as he turned to leave the room with the untouched tray.

"I have to go to work now. Will you be okay?"

As expected, Lexy remained silent and still. Like a mannequin. Or a ghost. Fred missed the sound of his daughter's sweet voice. He missed seeing her bouncing around the house always with something to say. He just missed his daughter.

"Call me if you need anything."

No response.

***

Cheryl, Toni, Sweetpea and Fangs all sat in the student lounge together. Although they all tried desperately to make small talk with one another, they were all well aware that the one thing on everyone's mind hadn't been seen since her brother was taken to juvenile detention.

"Okay, as usual, I will be the one to say what everyone is undoubtably thinking." Cheryl finally piped up, in her usual Cheryl Blossom tone. "Lexy. What happened to her?"

"Yeah, she pretty much fell off the grid after the trial. Has anyone been talking to her?" Toni asked, her legs lying across Cheryl's lap.

"Not me." Fangs said.

"Yeah, me neither. I've been texting and calling but it just goes straight to voicemail." Sweetpea said, taking out his phone to make sure she still hadn't responded.

The four Serpents eyed each other suspiciously.

"Oh come on guys, it's been two days!" Fangs stood up from the beanbag he was sitting on. "Lexy's fine. Her mom was in town all summer, she's probably just helping her move her stuff back to Chicago."

"She would've told us." Cheryl shut him down.

"Or at least texted me back. Something's wrong." Sweetpea said.

"Well her brother did just get arrested. That's probably affected her." Fangs replied.

"That's exactly my point."

Fangs shook his head, knowing his attempts at staying positive were not working.

"I'm gonna go to her house after school, make sure she's okay. Anyone wanna come with me?" Sweetpea asked, as the bell went and students began rushing to classes.

"We have vixen practice but we're gonna stop by tomorrow." Toni said.

"Yeah and Fp wants my help with some stuff at Tent City after school." Fangs said as the four made their way out of the lounge.

***

Sweetpea walked up the driveway of the Andrews' house. He noticed Fred's truck was there. That didn't necessarily mean that Lexy was home, but he could at least find out where she was from her dad.

He rang the doorbell twice before Fred finally answered it. He looked tired. And sad. Not surprising considering his only son was just framed for murder then taken to juvenile detention.