•{Prologue}•

Welcome to Hell

I'm sorry, my little one. This is all my fault.

Snow circled downwards through the treetops whilst thunder roared overhead, as if, if it were just a little warmer, the snowflakes would turn into raindrops. The heavy sheet of snow that hid the greenery of the forest's ground from sight was stained with blood and the heart wrenching cries of a baby echoed in her ears, louder than any burst of thunder. A knife was weakly held by her right hand and her stomach had been cut open, making her appear to have been gutted mercilessly while her newborn child wriggled between her legs. But despite the fatal wound, she could feel no pain as the cold numbed her to the core. Even her insides had started frosting over as they were sprawled out around the baby she'd removed from her own body without the use of any sort of anaesthesia but the freezing snow and air around her. Her lips parted as if she was about to call out to her tiny son, but her sapphire eyes had grown hazy and the only sound that escaped her mouth was the last breath she managed to exhale before darkness slammed down upon her.

Even though she was dead, her soul still felt the cold.

Then, like the world had split open beneath her, she endured a sickening sensation whilst air surged upwards against her back. With a start, she realised she was falling backwards and gasped in horror as she found herself able to see again. But rather than the claws of branches and the gray underbelly of the storm that had been roaring silently overhead, her field of view was met with a red screen. She then noticed maroon clouds in the corners of her vision and swivelled around to widen her eyes at the sight of a rapidly approaching city - a mixture of fiery lights and darkly shaded buildings. Her heart raced in her chest as fear seemed to have revived her from death.
However, after recalling all that had just happened, she relaxed and shut her eyes once more. She deserved this.
After half a second, her body crumpled against the concrete of what she'd glimpsed to be a square of some sort. Strangely, although the agony from the fall was devastating, she hadn't died like she'd expected to. Instead, following a few moments of writhing in pain, she opened her eyes and pushed her upper body upwards with her arms. The injuries had healed and there wasn't a single scratch on her bleached skin.

What happened to my skin? she questioned anxiously, floating a trembling hand in front of her face. Alarmed, she cast her eyes down towards the rest of her body. The black hair that hung over her left shoulder, tied messily by a sky blue ribbon and reaching to her behind, had stayed the same. She was still wearing the same clothes too: a pair of cinnamon brown boots and a dull white dress. Yet, the dress was unevenly ripped at the ends, and those tendrils were stained a garnet hue. Her stomach was no longer ripped open either. This can't be happening. For some reason, her shoulders felt heavier than usual, so, timidly, she peered over her shoulder and gasped in panic at the sight of two white, feathered, dove-like wings that had sprouted from her shoulder blades. W-Wings?!

Shakily rising to her feet, she drifted her stare across her surroundings, spotting figures which were undoubtedly far from human. Most of them seemed to be mutated animals that had learned to talk and walk on their hind legs. But the topics of their conversations were anything but pure. Every venomous slur they spat at one another made her skin crawl with frightened disgust. Although, it was tuning in to their chattering that allowed her to understand everything.
I am dead. And I've been damned to Hell, she realised, clutching onto her navel, because I killed my baby.
Much to her shock, the floor beneath her glazed over with ice. Upon seeing the frost, images of the blood painted snow swarmed to the front of her mind and she swore she could hear the distant cries of her newborn son, whom she had never even gotten the chance to hold. Panic condensed and strained her chest, forcing her to hyperventilate. Her wings arched behind her as she curved her body forwards, slamming her eyes shut as tears poured from them and releasing a petrified, prolonged scream of emotional turmoil.