•{Chapter 21}•

The Opening Dance

Harlene's long hair hung over her right shoulder, loosely curled and held in place by a crystal-encrusted, flapper headband with flowy white feathers. Alongside that, she was dressed in a two-pieced gown, consisting of a lace, mesh crop top that exposed her gracile arms and shoulders, as well as a long, matching skirt that flowed out at the ends. It hid her lower body from sight, even though it didn't fail to hug her curved hips tantalizingly. Underneath the dress, Harlene wore ballerina flats. Everything was white, although it still wasn't as pale as her skin.

"Ready to go?" Angel Dust asked as he exited his room's ensuite bathroom and posed in the mirror beside Harlene, wearing a gorgeous, golden wig and red lipstick. He also wore a bubblegum dress with a large slit down the side starting just above his waist, revealing the strap of his black thong and his lengthy red boots. "Charlie texted, sayin' this thing's packed. A.k.a; there's a lotta hot fuckers down there, waiting to meet Angelica and her plus one."

"No, just you," Harlene laughed daintily.

"Okay, okay, I get it. I'm lookin' really fuckable right now," Angel Dust boasted, then grabbed her by her forearm to drag her towards the door. "Now, watch me actually do something about that at this dance thingy."

"I'd rather not watch," she joked when they entered the hallway.

Angel Dust scoffed playfully, "Your loss, sugar!"

Side by side, Angel Dust hooked an arm with Harlene's as they headed downstairs. The music got louder and louder until it was pretty much all that could be heard. The reception, cleared out of any clutter, was filled with demons. Within the crowd, Harlene could spot Vaggie and Charlie talking to a group of intrigued young demons, probably about the hotel and all it promised in terms of rehabilitation. Vaggie was dressed in a plain, pastel purple dress that reached above her knees whilst Charlie wore a black jumpsuit with an open back. Niffty was dancing with a fish-like demon that Harlene had never seen before, too preoccupied by him to clean anything, much to Harlene's delight as she knew how hard Niffty worked and that she deserved some time to herself for once. Meanwhile, Husk was whipping up drinks for the demons who sat at the bar, talking to a canine demon, and when Harlene looked more closely, she seemed to be bickering with him.

"There's so many more demons here than I honestly thought would come," Harlene noted aloud, becoming worried. "I'm happy for Charlie, but I never realised that so many demons were actually interested in the hotel and her idea. Do you think there's something more to this, Angel?"

"Sugar, there's no need to step in as the mom friend tonight, a'ight? Try not to worry 'bout a thing tonight, for your own sake." Angel Dust rolled his eyes, then grinned as he seemed to catch sight of some demons he found attractive. "Oh my fuck, there's so many hotties in here. I'm gonna see if anyone's interested in an orgy."

Harlene whimpered, "But I won't have anyone to dance with if you leave me!"

"Why don't ya go dance with Smiles?" Angel Dust asked her, raising an eyebrow, then pointed behind her. "He looks like he wants to do the devil's dance with ya anyway."

Flushing radiantly, Harlene turned her frame in the direction Angel Dust had pointed to and laid her eyes onto Alastor, who had dressed up for the occasion in a white dress shirt, black trousers and a tidier red suit jacket. He still wore the shoes with the deer hoof prints underneath. His eyes were gleaming more than his monocle did in the dotted lights of the discoball above, but not with the malice that was usually there when it came to other demons. Rather, Alastor's mouth was partially open and his pupils were enlarged as he gazed at Harlene in her divine outfit.
She really did fit the title of 'Snow Angel'.
However, when Alastor finally noticed that Harlene was looking his way, he turned away and disappeared into the crowd, the cold act making the frost on her skin burn. She then shook her head and looked back up at Angel Dust.