Indigo

-

After the fight finished- Jack and the boy being ripped apart by teachers, Ralph stood outside the office door, waiting for Jack silently. He didn't know why. It just felt right.

"Off you two go- get on each other again, expect a bigger punishment." The principal said after kicking the boys out of the office.

Jack turned around, seeing Ralph waiting for him in a quite timid manner. He didn't smile or frown- he just grabbed Ralph's arm and almost dragging-ly walked with him to the hallway.

"Sorry." Jack said, a bit quiet, face flushed. Ralph looked at him with confusion, wondering why he'd apologize after avenging him.

"No, I'M sorry. It's my fault." Ralph looked away, still walking with Jack. He didn't know where they were headed to, but he just silently, and obidiently- followed Jack.

"Stand up for yourself, don't just stand there when someone's threatning you." Jack turned around briskly, glaring at the wall beside Ralph.

Ralph listened to Jack confessing about something- although he was distracted by another faded memory of his stay during the island.

This time- not much speech intervened. Simon was leaning next to Ralph silently. The island was a bad place- but when Ralph was with Simon, it seemed like Paris suddenly. Or Bali. Or any other romantic, beautiful place.

Simon smiled up at Ralph, as Ralph shyly smiled back.

Simon opened his arms, as Ralph sunk into his embrace. They just hugged each other there for a few minutes, without saying anything.

Then, he heard ruckus. Roger was there- then some of the choir boys- and then Jack.

Jack was always there, somehow. And Ralph didn't know why. He didn't care.

But Simon stood- going off to help Piggy as Ralph was left alone.

He was intimidated by Jack. He didn't like his presence- he felt scared.

"What?" Ralph said- almost snapping back as soon as Jack put out a hand. Jack took his hand back, pocketing it back in his ripped shorts.

Jack looked baffled, raising a brow as he was only trying to be friendly once in a while.

"Oh, hey- Merridew." Ralph said, quite awkwardly- with an apathetic tone.

"What's up with the last name calling?" Jack looked down at Ralph sitting.

"I just figured it was less personal." Ralph replied, scrunching his nose.

Jack stayed a bit silent, and then sat next to Ralph.
As if he took Simon's place.

"What's up with Simon?" Jack asked, ignoring the fact that he was a bit hurt.

"We're friends." Ralph replied. "Good friends."

"That seems, nice." Jack prolonged the conversation a bit awkwardly.

"I was wondering if you'd participate in dinner." Jack asked.

"What, your meat dinner?" Ralph squinted.

"Yea, next to me." Jack added.

Ralph scrunched his nose again. Then he made his normal face again.

"Sure, but can you just sit here until the sun goes down?" Ralph asked. Randomly.

"What? That's a bit weird though." Jack replied.

"Forget it then." Ralph stood up, chasing after the path Simon had walked.

Jack sat on the sand, watching Ralph walk away.

It was weird.

"You with me Ralph?" Jack asked, as Ralph shook his head.

When he looked up, he saw Jack completely flushed. He looked at Ralph.

"What? What did you say?" Ralph asked.

Jack stared at him, looking backstabbed.
"You didn't hear anything I said?"

"Yea Jack." Ralph replied, frowning.

"Don't mind it then." Jack pushed himself away from Ralph, backing off.

"See you around, I guess." He frowned while turning around, walking off.