Chase

Ralph stood there, back facing the wall. He blinked whilst being showered in sunlight, looking baffled.
He cleared his throat after noticing that some people had been looking directly at him.

He messed with his dirty blonde locks, fixing the sleeves of his shirt before leaving the hall briskly.

"Yo!" Someone said behind Ralph, making him flinch. He turned around to see his friend; Simon.

He noticed that he'd been absent for quite a long while, and that Simon might've missed him.
"What's up, Ralph?" He caught up next to Ralph, wrapping an arm around his shoulder.

"Nothing much." Ralph smiled shyly, glad to see Simon around. "I was just- talking to Jack."

"Ehhh." Simon seemed a bit uncomfortable with any subject that was near Jack. "Him? Cool."
Ralph knew he didn't mean the 'cool' part.

Ralph slipped into a flashback.

"SIMON!" Ralph yelled, holding back tears because everyone told him at the island- boys don't cry.
Ralph shook Simon, as Simon was laying on the sand, his bloody back covered in white sand.

Ralph looked up at Jack. He didn't understand why- he wanted to cry because Jack upset him. But at the same time, Ralph wanted him to say sorry, to say he was a bad person. To give him a second chance.

It was unexplainable- a weird emotion, like a carbon drink fizzing up inside. It felt upsetting, sad.

Ralph just looked up at Jack who was now looking down in a bit of fear.

Ralph kneeled, just looking at Jack and the hunter boys running.

Ralph felt sad, both because of the fact that Simon had been hurt, and the fact that Jack seemed as if he didn't care about Ralph's emotions.

"Hey, Ralphie?" Simon tapped Ralph's shoulder.

"Oh." Ralph looked at Simon.

Ever since being stuck in the island, they've been good friends. Atleast, they thought in a shallow sense.

Simon pocketed his hand in his grey khakis. He was slightly breaking the dress codes, wearing a shirt underneath his button-up ones. The button was undone, as it showed his black and white T-shirt.
Ralph and Simon just walked down the corridor silently for a little while, then Ralph started a conversation.

"So, how was school for about, two months?" He asked.
"Bland. You weren't here." He jokingly said, laughing.
Ralph smiled, happy that he was atleast a significant friend to someone. He was usually quiet and kept to himself, which was why he didn't talk to many people near him.

"What were you doing, walking around here?" Simon said. "It's almost lunch time."

"Oh- yea, I know." Ralph blinked, being a bit surprised internally since he hadn't known.

"Come on, we can't starve." He joked a bit- as it sounded quite familiar to Ralph.

"Alright, alright. Can sit with you?" Ralph asked.
Simon let out a small chuckle, looking down at Ralph who was a tad bit shorter than him.

"Of course, you dork."

-

Ralph and Simon sat, tossing their backpacks on the floor near them. They both took their lunches out, sharing a conversation for awhile.

Ralph shifted his gaze around, glad that his mind had drifted away from Jack. He wanted to act strong infront of him- Jack had always intimidated him somehow.

He had a soft spot for him, although he didn't really understand why he did himself.

Ralph had finished his lunch and so had Simon, as they stood back up, frisking their backpacks.
"You seem pretty distracted today." Simon said to Ralph, as Ralph shook his head.

"I'm just a bit tired, I slept at 1 yesterday." Ralph grinned at Simon.

While they turned a corner in the school corridors, Ralph saw a familiar person standing not so far.

It was Jack- and this made Ralph tense.

Jack made eye contact with Ralph, as he stared for a bit. He glanced at Simon who was giving a subtle frown at him.

Jack looked away, going back into a talk he was in with one of the cheerleader girls.

Simon scoffed, as Ralph held his arm a bit tighter.

"Can I uhm," Simon said.
"-Ask you if you like going to public places?" He finished his sentence.

"What?" Ralph was a bit confused at the very abrupt conversation.
"I mean- are you taking me somewhere? Sure." He answered.

"Sweet, look." Simon pulled out his phone, showing a text message.
"It's Aiden Lockheart's house party-thing." He showed an invitation.

Ralph stared, feeling a bit funny. He was excited- yet for something else.

"Wha'ddya say?" Simon said, as if he seemed to be asking Ralph to join him.
"Sure, actually." Ralph nodded, smiling shyly.

"It says, it's next friday." Simon added, as Ralph thought to himself.
"Oh, I'm free then. The whole day." He said.
"Sweet! It's 8PM anyways." Simon shrugged.

The two laughed a bit, heading back to class.

-

Author's Note (Please read.)
Hey everyone! Thank you, I've been offline here for quite awhile and I've noticed that some people actually have enjoyed this silly book I wrote.
I'm planning on updating it every now and then until it finishes!
Please note that the romance will progress a bit slowly, since I don't want this book to have an abrupt, awkward flow or ending.
Thank you for reading!
P.S, I apologize for making this chapter seem a bit more Simon x Ralph. This book might have a bit of Simon and Ralph- although I'll try not to write about that ship often. It's for the fun.
That was a long author's note. But thank you for your attention once again!