Chapter Three

Lisa POV

I wasn't really sure what to do with the woman in my arms. It was fairly clear she hated me, and I supposed that I understood that. I'd raped her in the night. I'd taken her from the safety of her old life, though that was more her assumption than anything else. Had I not taken her, she would have probably been dead by morning. Where we'd woken up was prime kodiak territory. Those bears avoided the were-kin, but humans were fair game to them, plus, a virgin female wandering through our territory on a full moon was probably going to be found by some male, and most of the males already had mates of the kin.

That would have meant that she would have been killed in the morning. She didn't care, of course. She didn't even care that she was carrying a precious life. I heard the distaste in her voice when she called them hell-pups, like they were just monsters, and not young born of our coupling, my babies, but hers as well. She was cold, heartless, and I wished I'd never taken her. I'd hoped to wake up with one of my own kind. There were single females who might have been out last night as well, but instead I'd ended up with a human woman who knew nothing of our kind, and now I'd have to try and keep her alive until she had my young and I could get rid of her. That wouldn't be an easy task. Most of the humans in our pack had come looking for us, and knew the rules of our society.

They respected us and wanted to join us, but this woman knew nothing, and didn't seem to care to learn. She was only concerned about herself. We entered the town just after noon, and immediately the wolves came to see what the new scent was that I was carrying. I spread my shoulders and growled at those who came close. For better or worse this was my wife now, my mate. I had to protect her, and if I didn't produce a strong front then other single males would rape her and then kill her. They came in all different forms, most either wolf or werewolf, but some came in their hybrid state. It wasn't an easy state to reach, and it was a sign of strength to wear it in public. Most of those in that shape were males trying to exert their dominance.

I could take the form as well, though it was difficult, painful to maintain. It might have made Jennie more comfortable, that form, since it resembled a human pretty closely, but I wasn't sure I was ready to cause myself pain to please her. "Stay quiet, and don't meet anyone's eyes." I whispered to Jennie before growling at a young male who'd come within claws reach. He was dressed in hybrid form, though his form was shaky and I could see the exertion on his face. It was considered bad form to wear it like that, but he was too young to know better. He could obviously smell the female and was hoping I'd give it up easily. Wolves his age only thought with their cock. Jennie turned her face into me obediently and remained as silent as she'd been the last leg home. It was surprising, given how much she'd complained before.

Her weak human hands tightened a little in my fur, perhaps a bit afraid. "What have you got there?" A large male asked. Daesung. He was the pack beta, and he still went out every full moon, despite having two mates that wouldn't accept him bringing home another. "My wife." I answered. I couldn't avoid talking to him, but I didn't meet his eyes. It wouldn't do to get into a fight with him, especially not with Jennie with me. "Looks like a human. A wild one, no less. Sure you don't want to just kill it and find a better one?" He asked, and I knew he wasn't joking. Others had done exactly that. "No, I want to keep her. She's my mate now." I wrapped my arms more tightly around her. He stepped closer. He was in full werewolf form, larger than me by nearly a foot, and wider across the chest than almost any other wolf in the pack.

He stuck his nose in her direction and sniffed. "Smells like you had fun with her, anyway. Well, if you can keep her alive until she births your pups, than she is yours to keep, but I won't afford you any protection on a wilder." I nodded. "I understand that." He shrugged and walked away, and I hurried the rest of the way home, curious eyes following me, a few brave males even stalking me all the way back to my cabin. When I got inside I breathed out a sigh of relief and set Jennie down near the bed. "This is my home." I told her, trying not to sound as worn as I felt. Carrying her for our journey had taken some energy, but dealing with my own pack was emotionally exhausting.