05 | daredevil

Chapter V: Daredevil

Regarding Bentley... Bentley is a very dangerous person, worse than Celeste. I couldn't even keep track on how many people he ruined during my time at Harrington.

See, the difference between Celeste and Bentley is that Celeste is impulsive. If a situation arises and she has information that could destroy someone in a matter of seconds, she'll use it. Whereas Bentley waits for the right opportunity. He patiently seeks out the right time to use what he has, and it has a permanent effect, more damaging than Celeste's. He keeps her grounded, you know.

Without him, Celeste would be nothing. She'd be defenceless.

Sent by Scarlett at 4:10 P.M.

***

SO WHY DIDN'T SHE destroy Akari then and there? The sudden thought came to mind as I was completing the work I had gotten set today. Setting my pen on the desk and turning my focus to my laptop, I quickly scrolled through Madeline's Instagram as she was the most active between the three of them. In a couple of minutes, on my bright screen was a picture of Celeste, Madeline and Akari during Spring Break.

It was just a picture, but pictures spoke a thousand words, louder than what occurred in reality. The three looked extremely close in this certain picture, drenched in water from head to toe, cocktails in their hands as they laughed together. The laugh wasn't forced unlike their next picture in the late summer, where they were gathered at someone's party.

The difference between the two was that in the latter, Akari looked extremely uncomfortable, a noticeably distance between her and the other girls. It was like she was shunned but as far as everyone was concerned, they were all still best friends. Leaning back against my chair, I sighed in frustration as I tried to rack up different scenarios but came to a blank. Suddenly, my phone lit up, Zane's name blinking on my screen as the phone rang until I picked up.

"Hey," I said, scrolling through Madeline's Instagram, smiling at the drunken photo of Zane that came up.

"Good evening, my lady," he replied. "Are you busy?"

Frowning, I answered, "No—"

"Great!" he interrupted enthusiastically, cutting me off before I could ask why. "I'm picking you up in 10. Be ready."

"Wait, wha—" I stared at my phone blankly when the phone cut off suddenly.

Groaning, I quickly changed out of the comfort of my joggers and into jeans, cleaning my appearance up before throwing a leather Mulberry coat over my top just as he arrived, honking the car horn plenty enough times to gain me complains from the neighbours' tomorrow. I cursed him under my breath as I slipped into my boots and left the house, the cold city air biting against my fingertips.

"You do know people are asleep?" I grumbled irately as I got into the car, but he didn't look the slightest bit concerned. What else was expected of him?

"You look nice," he complimented, ignoring my remark as he sped off before I could even put my belt on.

"Want to tell me where we are going?"

"Kaito is holding a small gathering," Zane answered. "Thought you'd want to go instead of doing nothing at home."

"Who said I was doing nothing?" I retorted, smartly.