10 | room 125

Chapter X: Room 125

The nickname began in freshman year, when Zane was teasing her and calling her a people-pleaser. Although, he wasn't wrong; Madeline loved to do whatever she needed to do to ensure that she had the admiration and love from others. Since then, she's had become the face of Harrington; star pupil, the best grades and let's not forget, drop-dead gorgeous. Celeste might be the Queen of Harrington, but Madeline is the main reason there's so many applicants to enter the school; she was the first student parents would be introduced to.

But, you know as well as I do, that this is all just a deception. It's an illusion that plays perfectly well for Harrington Preparatory and the main reason why Celeste is the downfall for so many students. Madeline is conniving. If she wants something, she will do everything in power to get it.

Sent by Scarlett at 6:00 P.M.

***

BEST GRADES? Yet, another lie.

Over the past two weeks, after discovering Madeline's little secret, I did my best in ensuring I had enough footage and evidence regarding our history teacher and Madeline's affair. I'd keep an eye on her locations prior to school and where she disappeared off to after school. On most occasions she'd return home, but I noticed that twice a week, she'd visit The Carlyle, one of the most luxe hotels in New York due to being situated on the Upper East and its famous view of the city skyline.

At first, I didn't think anything of it until one night I noticed Mr Harding, looking slightly out of place, as he checked himself in at the reception. I had sat in the foyer; shades covering my eyes, a thin, satin scarf covering my hair, a white dress clinging onto my body and my favourite pair of Christian Louboutin's to complete the look. Feigning interest, I flicked through pages of magazine, but my focus was entirely on Mr Harding.

From what I had gathered, Madeline would arrive exactly at seven in the evening which would give an hour gap between her check in and our history teacher's. He wasn't as precise as her. Sometimes he'd check in before eight, sometimes he'd check after eight. Nevertheless, one factor which remained consistent was that he'd ask for keys to the same room every time.

"Room 125," I smirked.

The room was recently attended to by the maids, the scent of fresh linen perfumed the room, a warm and cosy ambience greeting you the second you stepped in. After carefully inspecting the area, I glanced at the clock, noticing that Madeline's arrival would be soon and decided to make my presence unknown before she caught me.

Instead of putting my plan motion, I knew that it wasn't the right time just yet, hence how I ended up spending my Thursday evening with Akari. I was sitting in bed, glasses propped on top of my head, homework that was set today was discarded to the side as I scrolled through my Instagram, when Akari's name popped up on my screen, a familiar ringtone trilling from the device in my hand. I rolled my eyes before I answered.

"Hey."

"Are you busy?" she demanded, ignoring my greeting. I blinked at her straightforwardness, hesitating to give an answer.

"Erm— yeah?" I cringed at how my reply sounded more like a question than an answer.

"So, you can't come over?"

"No."

I could almost visualise her rolling her eyes before she replied, "Does that mean I have to come to you?"