07 | relics

Chapter VII: Relics

It's been a while; I'm sorry for not being in touch with you but spending time with Akari, and occasionally Zane, seemed to take a lot of my time. I've applied to the colleges I plan on going to after Harrington, but it seems to be the last thing on my mind. Celeste still doesn't like me and, only recently, Madeline acts indifferent when I'm around. Maybe it's because me and Akari have gotten closer. Since I've been around Akari, I've learnt so much about her and Kaito (who still makes me feel unsettled).

Kaito is messed up. I feel bad for Akari sometimes, not knowing all the things her brother gets up to. Her name could be ruined because of him; any chances of her being famous could be go down the drain if word got out about his business.

Maybe that could work to my advantage.

Sent by Candace 12:00 A.M.

***

KAITO, LEANED AGAINST his car, was talking to a pretty, blonde after school one day. Her hand resting on his bicep as she smiled flirtatiously at him, batting her false lashes at him when he whispered something. It was nauseating as I watched from the distance. She laughed at something he said, a smirk on his face as he studied her like she was a trophy. Moments later, the pair got into his car, backing out of the car park just as my town car pulled up in front of me.

"Follow that car," I ordered the second I got in. "But don't make it obvious."

The driver complied, staying steadily behind the Mercedes, the engine revving as it veered in and out of other cars. At one point we lost it but, surprisingly, my driver had no trouble catching up with them a few minutes later. Eventually, we ended up in Queens, the roads quieter than Manhattan, fewer cars on the roads, much fewer people outside. I frowned as the Mercedes turned into a driveway and, not far away; I observed them as my car came to halt a few blocks down the street.

"Stay here," I said, grabbing my things as I left the car, careful to not make any sound.

Kaito and his blonde friend walked up the stairs of the house, hands locked together as he knocked on the door only once before patiently waiting outside. As if he could sense someone watching him, he glimpsed in my direction, causing me to duck quickly behind a car, breathing heavily as my heartbeat increased due to the pressure.

When I felt I was in the clear, I peered out to the side to see the pair entering the home. It was unclear of who opened the door, I couldn't tell from this far which frustrated me as it meant going closer which, consequently, could blow my cover, but I took the chance and sneakily made my way to the house.

I pressed myself against the side of the house and steadied my breathing, cursing myself for being so unfit. I noticed an open window not far from where I was standing which was displaying the events occurring inside.

"Did you get what you wanted?" Someone said, a hoarse voice as if they had just woken up.

"Of course," I recognised Kaito's voice the second he spoke and could almost imagine his haunting smirk on his face. "Do you have the cash?"

"All thirty thousand packed in those bags just for you, Takahashi," Someone else replied, much softer than the other. "Do you want us to take it to the regular?"

Kaito didn't speak for a second, it was quiet, and I was itching to see what was going on inside, but I held back the temptation. I couldn't get caught, especially in the neighbourhood I was in, who knew what could happen to me?