09 | scandalous

Chapter IX: Scandalous

I knew there was something suspicious about that girl. No girl can have hair that blonde and luscious without hiding secrets underneath it. Madeline confuses me, I don't understand why she is called the 'high school sweetheart'. What about her is sweet? To me, she's just a blonder and skinnier version of Celeste.

How can someone gain a nickname so innocent and be anything but?

Sent by Candace at 9:30 A.M.

***

IT WAS A COUPLE weeks after the entire fiasco happened. In fact, it was like it had never happened. The girl who was brutally humiliated and degraded by Celeste was pulled out of Harrington; no one knew where she went. Sometimes, you'd hear whispers of gossip and the hushed conversations between cliques as you walked down the corridors, but they were all quickly silenced, especially if you were unlucky and caught by one of the Elites.

I had no doubt that Bentley was the main reason behind it all; he'd sit smugly besides Celeste whenever Madeline brought news that another student had dropped out of Harrington, and sometimes — if he was in a bad mood — they were humiliated first.

The other week, Akari told me how a red-haired junior was retelling the events to her boyfriend, who'd been off sick for a couple of days, whilst her so–called friends were around. They wasted no time on snitching on her. Why they did it could be due to a numerous of reasons: to get into Celeste's good books, to join the Wannabes, to be invited to exclusive parties, to gain all the advantages the green–eyed goddess can offer them. Although, why they did it didn't matter. The red-headed 's boyfriend broke up with her that very same day publicly and, in less than 5 minutes, had his arm around another girl. Celeste leapt at the opportunity to break down the girl's self–esteem and Bentley... He shamelessly handed a wad of cash to her ex-boyfriend right in front of her.

You couldn't trust anyone here; everyone had their own agendas.

And I fit perfectly in.

*

The weather in New York dramatically changed. The occasional sunshine and warm weather were quickly replaced with grey skies and frost biting against the leaves and trees. I sat in the library, mindlessly playing with my pen as I formulated my next plan. Since the discovery of Katio's illegal expenditures, I'd been at stalemate as I hadn't had the chance to return to the club — Akari refused to come along especially after her brother had gotten mad at her for going in the first place. I groaned in annoyance and rested my head on the table, grumbling profanities to myself.

"Why did you do this to me, Scar?" I grumbled. "Because of you, I had to become friends with Elites, do you know how painful that is?"

"No, but I'd like to find out."

My head shot up at the unknown voice, wide eyes staring at the boy with shaggy ebony hair, who leaned against a bookshelf with his arms crossed over his chest whilst he smirked at me. He wore a long overcoat that matched with the black jeans and white shirt underneath. I had never seen or meet him before, but he looked strangely familiar. Albeit, that didn't stop my heart from plummeting and all I could think was that this was the end, and I had failed Scarlett.

"Excuse me?"

"You know at first I didn't believe it," he said instead, slipping into the seat opposite me. "But now, I definitely see it."