06 | symphony

Chapter VI: Symphony

Scar,

Akari and Celeste don't seem to be on the same page. But Celeste still wants to control her every move. Just the other day, I was speaking to Akari, having a normal conversation and Celeste hated that. I heard the pair arguing during lunch; they didn't notice me, and I couldn't fully make out their conversation, but I definitely heard my name along with some colourful words afterwards.

Akari is sweet and seems so genuine but when I remember what she did to you, it reminds me that it's just a façade, nothing but a little act she's putting up and fooling the people around her. Although Madeline is the high school sweetheart, at least she doesn't lie to your face about who she likes. Akari, on the other hand, is too perfect. Like a painting. And I hate it.

Sent by Candace at 12:00 A.M.

***

AKARI DIDN'T JUST sound  like a popstar, she looked exactly like one. Her sense of style was wealthy with a side of playful; she was sophisticated but being in the room with her brightened the entire atmosphere. She was beautiful with her long, mahogany hair that reached her waist and brown eyes that looked gold in the sunlight. She suited every outfit she wore; from jeans to dresses, regardless of colour. She reminded me of a painting, delicate yet worth millions.

At least that's what I told her.

"Really?" she blushed, tucking a strand of loose hair behind her ear as we walked to class together. "You flatter me, Candace."

"I'm serious, Akari," I grinned.

"That's really sweet of you. I haven't heard a compliment so genuine before, it just seems weird," she laughed but it was pained slightly.

I frowned as we entered the classroom, loud chatter filling the room. "Really? Do your friends not compliment you?"

She shrugged, smiling feebly. "I guess but they aren't... You know."

"Yeah, I do," I sighed, feeling sorry for her.

"Hey, don't get too hung up on it," she consoled, shoving me softly with a grin when she noticed the sombre look on my face. "How about I sit with you today? Celeste isn't in a good mood today and I don't really want to deal with her."

"Are you sure?" I asked carefully as we walked to my desk at the back.

"Yes. Don't worry, she won't care," Akari answered with a laugh.

But she did. Even if Celeste wasn't on good terms with Akari, she did care where her friend sat. Especially, if it was with me. I could feel those green eyes throwing daggers our way, my way. I refused to look in her direction, not matter how tempting it was and focused on the bubbly Japanese girl who sat beside me, the diamond pin in her hair sparkling under the incandescent sunlight.

"Tell me about your singing. Do you write your songs? Have you recorded before?" I wondered. Suddenly, her eyes lit up joyfully and she grinned like a little kid.

"I wrote a couple and recorded them too, I'm just trying to find my sound, but I can't, and it's been really hard lately, especially with my brother and everything else."

"So, you haven't had time to sit down and just relax?"

She shook her head, letting out a little sigh before placing that smile on her face again which I couldn't tell if it was real or fake because her shoulder slouched as if she was holding so much weight.