A Search for the Cure

Knowing she could have arrived in a more timely manner, Sadie apologized as she swept through the green doors of the bistro. She hadn't noticed the time as she clicked link after link trying to find some sort of undiscovered herbal remedy or essential oil combination that could save her life. Articles written by pseudo scientists were in the hundreds and she read them all. Having only slept for two hours, she spent the entire remainder of the night, and all of the morning, educating herself on all of the natural ways believed to cure the incurable.

Still trying to clear her head from the myriad of information and lack of sleep, Sadie followed the hostess to the small table where Jack and Krystina had been waiting for thirty minutes. They stood to hug her, Jack reading into her eyes to determine if there was something wrong. She smiled with pressed lips to be polite, and let them know she was ok without having to say the words every time she saw them.

"Everything ok?" Krystina asked, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, I just lost track of time. I was reading," Sadie shrugged. She pulled the menu up to her face, conscious of every move she made as not to worry anyone. It was something she'd gotten used to after her diagnosis. Every move she made, Jack and Krystina unintentionally analyzed and watched her for signs of change.

"Reading your binder? Did you...read it all?" Jack wondered out loud, trying to sound as casual as possible. Without looking, he could feel his sister's eyes on him.

"No, not yet. I just didn't have time. I'll get to it later. Plus, you guys already know what's in there so..."

"Oh, right," Jack replied under his breath, doing his best impression of someone that didn't mind. "So what were you reading then?"

"It's stupid, honestly. I just got lost in articles and stuff, no big deal," Sadie responded, flipping pages of her menu to point to her favorite as the waiter came around with a small memo pad.

"What kind of stuff, anything good? Celebrity leaked nudes?" Krystina joked, wiggling her eyebrows and lightening the mood.

"Really?" Jack rolled his eyes and laughed at his sister.

"No, just...you know...stuff I should know..." Sadie offered reluctantly. She wasn't ready to tell them any of the details. She wasn't ready to tell them about her appointment with the institute either.

Enjoying their lunch, Krystina watched her brother, tortured as he looked at the woman who unknowingly held his proposal. Lost in thought, she almost didn't notice the vibration of her phone on the table. Turning it to the side, she saw a small message from Alec saying only, "later?". Wanting to smile, she held back. Feeling guilty to feel anything other than grief, she slid her phone back into her purse and looked for the waiter to refill her water.

Sadie finished all but two bites of her chicken wrap. Looking down at her hands as they slightly trembled, she tried to tell herself not to panic. It was something the doctor told her would happen, but she still had to try to keep control. Distracting herself by thinking about the articles, one in particular stood out. It was all she could think about. Focusing on the idea, her hands held still. The institute.