3 to 1

"Remember, just don't say anything about long life or anything related to death, or cancer, or kids. Got it?" Krystina pressed Alec.

They'd been the first to arrive at Cimino's to secure the table, exactly as Krystina had planned it. She wanted a few minutes to herself with Alec so she could brief him again on which topics were firmly off limits. Having over ten years on her, and two family members lost to ALS, he knew how to conduct himself better than most. Knowing that it wasn't the time or place to playfully one up his date, he decided to simply agree with a nod and a squeeze of her hand.

"Sure, gorgeous. I'll be good...unless you want me to be bad, because that sounds like fun," he teased in a feeble attempt to make her smile.

"Not now, love, but as soon as we leave here...mmm..." she purred into his ear as Jack walked over to the table.

Standing to shake hands, Alec greeted Jack, having already met a few times after the party. They were both glad to be past the cordial awkwardness between a brother and his sister's new beau. Looking at his phone, Jack checked to see how early he was before ordering a drink with the waiter.

"Any idea what the big news is? Did she tell you?" he asked Krystina curiously. She shrugged and shook her head, wondering why there was such secrecy surrounding the sudden dinner date.

"Maybe she finally decided on what to do first," Alec offered in an effort to show Jack he was in the loop. Krystina looked at him with care and put a manicured hand on his back while she responded.

"Maybe. I hope so."

As the waiter brought glasses of water to the table, and the few other drinks ordered, Sadie walked in and made her way to the group of familiar faces. She hugged Krystina immediately, and as she approached Jack, she hesitated before kissing him on the cheek. The slight uncertainty made Krystina and Alec smile at each other, both knowing Jack's account of their almost romp after his best attempt at playing medic. Looking over to Alec, and how muscular he looked next to Krystina's tall, model frame, she held a hand out.

"Hey, Alec, right?"

"Yeah, hey thanks for letting me crash," he answered as he shook her small hand before sitting back down. Noticing the clammy feel to Sadie's grip, he knew whatever she was going to talk about was something that indeed made her nervous.

Making small talk as they waited for their dinners, everyone mused about reality television and the lightning speed at which Alec and Krystina were taking their relationship. This wasn't new for her, but every time, it was an unspoken rule between Sadie and Jack that they tease her for it. She had teased them relentlessly for not being a couple, so they decided it was only fair to return the favor every chance they got.

After jokes, celebrity impressions, and a few more sly kisses between the new couple, a waiter brought out a large tray full of steaming dishes to deliver. Slicing into their entrees, Krystina impatiently glanced at Sadie to make the first move and announce why they'd been invited to an impromptu event. Finally catching her subtle glares, Sadie spoke up.

"So, I'm sure you're wondering why I called you here," she began, her voice slightly louder in an attempt to mask a nervous quiver or crack.

"We were hoping you chose what order to start all the stuff in the binder. Jack says you already picked up something today, right? That's awesome, hun," Krystina jumped in as she waited for her manicotti to cool.

"Let her say it on her own, beautiful," Alec whispered to her, placing a calming hand on top of her thigh as he smiled at her.

"I kind of...lied about that part. I'm sorry, Jack, I just wanted to talk to you guys about this in person so you know I'm not crazy," Sadie began, already feeling a hint of objection on the way like the stillness in the air before a tropical storm.